I have been away from programming but now i have more time. I want to make a fish that moves with procedural animation (just programming no keyframing )The fish will have at least 3 bones so i can move it in a sine wave, once i get that i will add bones for the mouth gills, and eyes so the movements will be very real looking. I will weight paint the mesh to the bones. Not sure how to make the bones move in a sine wave, anyone know of example code? can anyone write a small sample code that will allow the bones to move in a sine wave. Need it so i can get started
my program will be written in C++ opengl

BattlingMaxo

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Aren't there openGL tutorials you can use for animation?

Haven't seen any for what i want to do, moving my models with bones. Do you know of any?

BattlingMaxo

Haven't seen any for what i want to do, moving my models with bones. Do you know of any?

BattlingMaxo

Sorry but I know virtually nothing about OpenGL.

Don't you think I tried that? It's hard to get a specific tutorial like that, though i am sure it is on the net so i will keep trying google, but i thought someone here would know or at least point in the right direction

BattlingMaxo

Sooner or later, you need to realise that there isn't a tutorial for everything which just matches your needs.

At which point, you have to get down and start trying (and failing) to do your own thing (and not follow someone else's recipe).

You're almost certain to fail at your first attempt, but you're going to learn a HELL of a lot more from the experience than simply following in the footsteps of someone else (who may not even know the way).
You shouldn't look on this prospect in a negative way, it's a great teacher.

Only then will you become a truly creative programmer.

commented: Amen +16

of course there is truth to what you say but it is also a bit unfair as well. When i started learning 3d modeling i was having a very hard getting the hang of it but fortunately there were lots of tutorials some video tutorials as well. I am so comfortable modeling any object now all becuse of those tutorials. It's just starting what i want to do is very difficult even for experienced programmers.

BattlingMaxo

Do you think professionals spend all of their time scouting round the net for a tutorial on how to solve their next work assignment?

Perhaps you've been having an easy time of it, thinking that you can actually program when in fact all you can do is follow tutorials and make a few tweaks.

Programming is HARD work when you have to create it yourself.

TBH, it might take you 6 months to get your animation working just right, are you ready for that prospect?

There's a whole bunch of OpenGL tutorials here
http://nehe.gamedev.net/

You could also try asking this in the game-dev forum. Matt Evans will probably know how to solve your problem, but he doesn't come out of the game-dev forum much :)

Salem, i know that, i was projecting a year or so. I am just looking for tuts that will help me understand better not do my work for me.
I'll try Neik's suggestion

BattlingMaxo

Thanks for your suggestions

BattlingMaxo

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.