Hi,
I have developed a lot console applications in C++ using Visual Studio Express and I am curious how much effort it would be to wrap them with a ultra simple GUI? Do I have to purchase MFC or code hunded of pages in order to accomplish this in C++ using my IDE? I don't need anything fancy. Thanks for any input in this matter.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

well if your using a microsoft complier the mfc is included im not quite sure about the other compliers though. i havent tried making an mfc program in anything other than microsoft visuall c++ 6.0 but with that complier it is very easy to create a simply visual c++ program using the mfc.

Making the gui is not vary hard. Learning how to make it however may take effort. If you want to make a simple gui without learning too much, consider using a gui builder. This wikipedia page may be useful. Good luck.

try wxWidgets. Takes time to learn but pays
www.wxwidgets.org

EDIT: Search somewhere in the forum I have posted the Link to their free Ebook.

it may not be hard to make GUI applications, but it takes:
- Effort to learn Win32 API
- There is usually considerable amount of time needs to be spent on the layout of various dialogs and / or dialog controls.

it may not be hard to make GUI applications, but it takes:
- Effort to learn Win32 API
- There is usually considerable amount of time needs to be spent on the layout of various dialogs and / or dialog controls.

Ever heard of wxWidgets ?
(as already mentioned in one of the previous posts).

Ever heard of wxWidgets ?
(as already mentioned in one of the previous posts).

It makes little difference to the time and effort spent on the visual layout.

It makes little difference to the time and effort spent on the visual layout.

Yes, wxWidgets is easier.

Yes, wxWidgets is easier.

+1 for Tux4life

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.