Hy.

I'm new in this programming and i wish to work with some device like cd-rom.

So i wish to know how to open device.

I know that i must work with socketfd but i just need some guidnes.

Tnx

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You need to check device driver apis for your cd rom.

Sorry, but what this means?

Look in the folder /dev. In that folder you will see a whole bunch of files. Beleive it or not, those files are the link to your hardware on a low level. If you wish to access the device an a low level, just read and write from the corresponding file.

If you want a higher level api for linux, check out this.
Good luck.

Sorry, but what this means?

At last i succed to open device.

It goes like this:

int main(int argc, char** argv) 
{

FILE CDROM;
        int cdrom_fd;
        char* device_name = argv[1];
	char* cd_rom = "/dev/cdrom";

if ((cdrom_fd = open(cd_rom,O_RDONLY))==-1) 
        {
		       perror(cd_rom);  
	}
       return 0;
}

Does anyone can tell me how to read data from CD?

just read, not copy?

Look in the folder /dev. In that folder you will see a whole bunch of files. Beleive it or not, those files are the link to your hardware on a low level. If you wish to access the device an a low level, just read and write from the corresponding file.

If you want a higher level api for linux, check out this.
Good luck.

Tnx men, i'm getting somewhere!

Fix post #5 (with the "EDIT THIS POST" button). Use [CODE=C]<code here> [/code] to make it easer to read.

The code in post #5 will open the device in a low level, which means you have to first "ask the device" for the data on the cd. The way you "ask the device" varies between cd-rom drives, which is why you need drivers. linux/drivers.h should give you access to the cd-rom "after" the drivers, so you don't have to worry about writting messy code to support all cd drives.

Good luck. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.