(Admin, sorry but I can't find what I would think the proper forum is. Please feel free to move this)
Hello All,

I am an old time developer. By old time I mean have been programming since the early 80's, my forte's are C, Win SDK, and more than dabbled in Perl.

I would like to now venture and seriously develop for the iPhone.

Can someone direct me to find one or two very decent books...and what would be the LEAST expensive hardware I need to purchase?

I'd ask that last question at an Apple store, but by the time they're done with me...I'd be able to afford nothing more than underwear.

Thanks,

As always.

Sergio

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You need a mac with osx leopard, Setup a developer account at developer.apple.com then download the developer sdk and install xcode. There are very good tutorials in apple's developer section. When you install the developer software on the mac there are more help videos and tutorials in xcode. If you want to publish the app to a "developer phone or ipod touch" or the app store you need to pay $99 . XCODE has a virtual app you can test on so you don't need to pay the $99 yet

Thanks freshfitz,

Got my Mac, iPhone, and paid the $99.

Since you seem versed in this arena I had to ask a follow up question if I might. Much as I tried, can't seem to find a decent XCode support forum.

Seems XCode (Version 3.1.4) doesn't like the OS ver. of my iPhone 3GS 3.0.1 (7A400)

Now I have found the 3.01 Advisory

http://blog.chomperstomp.com/iphone-0s-3-0-1-not-supported-for-development-with-xcode-sdk-3-0/

But even still ... XCode refuses to recognize my iPhone OS:

"The version of iPhone OS on “iPhone” does not match any of the versions of iPhone OS supported for development with this copy of Xcode. Please restore the device to a version of the OS listed below. If necessary, the latest version of Xcode is available here."

So if anyone has a clue....boy would I appreciate knowing the answer.

Argh........

Sergio

Thanks freshfitz,

Got my Mac, iPhone, and paid the $99.

Since you seem versed in this arena I had to ask a follow up question if I might. Much as I tried, can't seem to find a decent XCode support forum.

Seems XCode (Version 3.1.4) doesn't like the OS ver. of my iPhone 3GS 3.0.1 (7A400)

Now I have found the 3.01 Advisory

http://blog.chomperstomp.com/iphone-0s-3-0-1-not-supported-for-development-with-xcode-sdk-3-0/

But even still ... XCode refuses to recognize my iPhone OS:

"The version of iPhone OS on “iPhone” does not match any of the versions of iPhone OS supported for development with this copy of Xcode. Please restore the device to a version of the OS listed below. If necessary, the latest version of Xcode is available here."

So if anyone has a clue....boy would I appreciate knowing the answer.

Argh........

Sergio

Did you ever solve your problem? I'd love to know how you did it! Thanks

you must have downloaded a new version of xcode. You may need to update your iphone software to 3.1.2 plug the phone into itunes and do an update. I did not update mine cause I run a jailbroken phone and don't know if they jailbroke 3.1.2 yet

Did you ever solve your problem? I'd love to know how you did it! Thanks

Project > Edit Project Settings

Then under BASE SDK FOR ALL CONFIGURATIONS:

Set it to iPhone Device 3.0

And that was that

Sergio, my professor has put together some very good beginner Iphone programming (objective c) resources. He has his own slides, but he also links to other resources that he considers useful. If you are interested, you can do the projects there also, they follow the slides, so they are all do-able although they are all more difficult than they look. They start out by teaching the basics and fundamental objective c classes and then branch out into things like OpenGL for the Iphone, Core graphics & animations, etc. I've done all of the projects there so if you go that route and need help or examples for something, you can always post in this forum and PM me.

http://cs491f09.wordpress.com/

I guess you have to go through this link and you'll get your answer not your answer but i'm sure you'll love to see it. Thanks!

<<snip>>

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.