I have read a little bit on XML and I will need it to get some information from already available XML files. I would like to learn it by making very small playlist. However I have encountered the two beasts. I don't know much of XML, especially with python. So I ask, which is the best way to go? (May be some tutorials on python/XML)

I have read a little bit on XML and I will need it to get some information from already available XML files. I would like to learn it by making very small playlist. However I have encountered the two beasts. I don't know much of XML, especially with python. So I ask, which is the best way to go? (May be some tutorials on python/XML)

I can't speak specific to Python as I don't have much experience with it yet, but I can speak to DOM vs SAX.

In my experience DOM is used for outputting and/or when you need to keep all the data in memory. SAX is used for quick parsing (and can be very effective on large files) and storing of certain values.

I think this is a well written discussion on SAX vs DOM albeit focused on using Java w/XML.

Thanks alot,
waiting to hear others

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.