Greetings all,

Peace. I have a problem. I need to download visual c++ 2005 express edition (long story why this one). I cannot find out where to get the correct download. I found this here this is for the Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 Express Editions Service Pack 1. However, when I download it and try to install it says it cannot find the file I want to update, and creates an error. So, I need help to find the actual 2005 Express edition. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Forget about 2005 Express -- its been updated to 2008 Express. 2008 is a better compiler anyway and doesn't need the Windows SDK in order to produce windows gui programs. But you have to hurry because it won't be available for much longer, as soon as 2010 is released (its already in beta).

@ancientDragon. Thank you for the reply. However, I am on Windows2000, not XP--I felt embarassed to point this out previously. That was why I wanted the 2005 edition which works with 2000Pro.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up about 2008 express. Can download it now as a safety.

Peace,

Marcia

@vmanes. Thank you. I had downloaded the VS2005 Express previously (when it was released and available). However, I dropped my lap top. Although the IT guy was able to retrieve the files and reload Windows2000Pro, the links to start VS2005 Express have so many errors on them.

In any event I have downloaded the link that you have graciously provided onto my USB and will try it on my laptop this evening. God bless you.

Peace.

try here

Thank you for the link. I was so excited when I saw the install dialog. However, the link was for C#. Perhaps I did not mention I use C++ thank you anyway. I guess I'll need to upgrade--Unless...do you have a C++ link? please :)

Peace.

Shoot, I thought I had the C++ link. I'll poke around some some more, they do hide it well.

OK, how about this?

commented: Kudos to vmanes...helpful and gracious DaniWeb poster :) +1

OK, how about this?

Thank you vmanes for your extra ordinary efforts. I had seen the softpedia download previously, and had checked them out with siteAdvisor. It appears that there is a risk of also downloading viruses/trojans from this site, as mentioned from user reviews here.

I have found a netbook for $299 so maybe I'll be blessed and be able to buy it, and then download express2008 before that expires. Kudos to you for your part in making Daniweb such an enjoyable and resourceful place to be!

Peace. I have read Microsoft's agreement about the free downloads for Visual Studio Express. For me to adhere to their rules I cannot locate and download VS 2005 Express--even if I were to find it. It appears that it is only free at the time when they make the release. I apologize to any of your for not reading this earlier. My option is to either contact Microsoft and ask for permission to access it since my previous 2005 Express version was damaged, or to upgrade to 2008.

This thread is marked as solved. Thank you to all who helped! :)

Peace.

You don't need Microsoft's specific approval to download VC++ 2008 Express -- its still freely available at the links previously provided. Just download and use it.

Peace. I have read Microsoft's agreement about the free downloads for Visual Studio Express. For me to adhere to their rules I cannot locate and download VS 2005 Express--even if I were to find it. It appears that it is only free at the time when they make the release. <snip>

Can you point to where you read this?

Not to bump the thread but I have been working to find the answer.

Can you point to where you read this?

Greetings vmanes, I certainly appreciated all your help. I have unsuccessfully tried to re-trace my steps to see where I found the information where it said that you cold not download VS 2005 c++ express, but could not.

So I posted on Microsoft's forum to see if it was possible. They said it was legal. here is the link here

Thank you all again

Peace

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.