alright here goes,

i recently started reading the a c++ book and i was wondering, how so far i have only ran all the example programs in cmd windows. will i able to run outside or not in that horrible looking window or will i have to learn another language. thanks in advance.

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Nick Evan

The console is what you learn with.

GUI programming is no different, it's just a different API. But it takes half a book to explain "hello world" rather than half a page, to an absolute newbie.

Votes + Comments
Well said.

You can write Windows programs (or GUI programs for Linux or Mac) in C++ (or C). It requires more than what you probably find in the basic C++ book - you have to use the GUI's API (application programming interface) - those are functions that directly interact with the windowing operating system.

In the Windows world, you can also create GUI programs easily with Visual Basic, C#, or use MS's add-ons for C/C++ such as MFC to create graphical programs.

Of course, you could go back to really fundamental programming and do windows apps in Assembly Language

The console is what you learn with.

GUI programming is no different, it's just a different API. But it takes half a book to explain "hello world" rather than half a page, to an absolute newbie.

Half a book? My old copy of Petzold only uses 34 pages for the Hello World code and explanation. ;)

Hi,

I am new to programming and basically self taught, is it possible to write a small program in c++ that has some GUI elements such as buttons, check box etc and compile the program in a Linux terminal rather than using and complicated IDEs such as Eclipse or NetBeans etc?

Thanks

Hi,

I am new to programming and basically self taught, is it possible to write a small program in c++ that has some GUI elements such as buttons, check box etc and compile the program in a Linux terminal rather than using and complicated IDEs such as Eclipse or NetBeans etc?

If you find Eclipse or NetBeans complicated, then GUI programming is also too difficult for you.

[edit]
You're not the OP. You shouldn't hijack someones thread. I answered your question in your own thread.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.