Hello, I have my main program.cs with static void main and i want to call a method I have created in my misc_methods.cs.

The method is string_split(string inputString)

misc_methods.cs is in the same folder and looks like this:

namespace my_project
{
    class string_split
    {
        public string_split(string inputString)
        {
              ...code for method
        }

}
}

I've only just started learning C# so I don't really know what the problem was but I thought the main part was having the same namespace.

Oh, i get the type or namespace could not be found error.
I'd be most grateful if someone could help me.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

Define your class as public: public class string_split . Also do both classes reside in the same namespace? namespace my_project ? If not you will need to add a using my_project; directive at the top of your class to see the other definition

Jump to Post

In addition to snake reply, you need to instantiate the class in the file where you want to use the method like this string_split split=new string_split(inputstring) because this method happen to be the constructor.

Jump to Post

Two more remarks.
1) I would not call methods in the program class ad leave it as it is. Call methods in the Form class.
2) The string class already has a split method, so I would not invent my own, unless you find it fun to do so. But …

Jump to Post

What is the exact name of the class your string_split method is in?

Jump to Post

All 14 Replies

Define your class as public: public class string_split . Also do both classes reside in the same namespace? namespace my_project ? If not you will need to add a using my_project; directive at the top of your class to see the other definition

I've added public, they both have the same namespace but i'm still getting an error.

"The name " string_split" does not exist in the current context "

This is my main method:

namespace my_project
{
    static class Program
    {
        [STAThread]
        static void Main()
        {
            Application.EnableVisualStyles();
            Application.SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault(false);
            Application.Run(new myInputForm());
            string_split(myInputForm.strValue);
      }
    }
}

In addition to snake reply, you need to instantiate the class in the file where you want to use the method like this string_split split=new string_split(inputstring) because this method happen to be the constructor.

Two more remarks.
1) I would not call methods in the program class ad leave it as it is. Call methods in the Form class.
2) The string class already has a split method, so I would not invent my own, unless you find it fun to do so. But I know, as a beginner just as I am in fact, you want some functionality and you think it is not there in .NET, untill you find out it IS there :-O

commented: good practices +10

Thanks ema005 and ddanbe. i know theres a sting split method but mine is different to the default method. And i will bear in mind calling it in the form.

I tried replacing:

string_split(myInputForm.strValue);

with:

string_split split=new string_split(myInputForm.strValue);

and i get "The type or namespace name 'string_split ' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

its defined here:

namespace my_project
{
    class string_split
    {
        public string_split(string inputString)
        {
              ...code for method
        }

}
}

OK do it this way:

class StringSplitter
    {
        public StringSplitter()
        {
            // default constructor
        }

public string string_split(string inputString)
        {
              //...code for method
            string splittedString=string.Empty;
            // more code
            return splittedString;
        }
    }

And then do something like this in your form:

StringSplitter split = new StringSplitter();         
            string Fstr = "My formstring";
            //call your method
            string Splstr = split.string_split(Fstr);

2) The string class already has a split method, so I would not invent my own, unless you find it fun to do so. But I know, as a beginner just as I am in fact, you want some functionality and you think it is not there in .NET, untill you find out it IS there :-O

And it never stops! I'm constantly finding implementations in the .NET framework that I didn't think existed so I rolled up my own code.

I tried this and i still get:

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'StringSplitter' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

It just doesn't seem to be finding it at all.

OK do it this way:

class StringSplitter
    {
        public StringSplitter()
        {
            // default constructor
        }

public string string_split(string inputString)
        {
              //...code for method
            string splittedString=string.Empty;
            // more code
            return splittedString;
        }
    }

And then do something like this in your form:

StringSplitter split = new StringSplitter();         
            string Fstr = "My formstring";
            //call your method
            string Splstr = split.string_split(Fstr);

Is there something other than namespace required for it to be found?

Did you follow the guidelines of sknake?
Did you actually add the clas to your my_project project?

How about you upload your project and we take a look at it?

I got it working, i'd added it to the wrong project.
I wouldn't have known to add it to a project in the first place though if it wasn't for your advice so thanks everyone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.