Hi guys,
I have been programming in python for just a bit over 2 years now. Being quite apt at it i was wondering, what can you do to really extend yourself in python? We have a lovely thread in the Projects for Beginners, but in some ways i have always thought it would be nice to find out some ideas of projects for non-beginners who could maybe spent a week or more on an idea.

So any ideas? Whats a project for the non-beginner? :)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi guys,
I have been programming in python for just a bit over 2 years now. Being quite apt at it i was wondering, what can you do to really extend yourself in python? We have a lovely thread in the Projects for Beginners, but in some ways i have always thought it would be nice to find out some ideas of projects for non-beginners who could maybe spent a week or more on an idea.

So any ideas? Whats a project for the non-beginner? :)

Just a few of my no-gos/failed projects:

1. Implement an open hashing or encryption algorithm
2. Write an IM program that encrypts the messages that it sends. (HINT: each user has a public key/private key)
3. Write a small framework on top of a gui toolkit of your choice that adds support for doing a few routine things (e.g., you can have a Document class that is linked to your customized Window class that automatically saves a document (or prompts) whenever a window is closed--among other things).

4. Also, Write a wsgi app. I don't care what. I'm probably gonna go do that now...

If you have more than one computer at home, write a module 'home' containing at least 2 functions,

def download(src_path, dst_path, computer_name):
    ???
def upload(src_path, dst_path, computer_name):
    ???

which allow you to transfer files between computers at any time. When it works, think about new useful functions and implement them.

Ah i like that idea grib. So basically its automating file transfer between computers on the same network? That could be handy for people who dont understand how to do it anyway (my brother) :P.

Then perhaps you could incorporate it into a GUI so that you could have some kind of drop box which you could drag files into.
I know wx has that functionality if needed.

I might give that a try, though if anyone has any more ideas, keep them coming

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.