Hi everyone!!!
I am newbie in java programming, I am using a communication API. I am havin some problems. Iwant to use a method defined like this:

enableRecording
public abstract void enableRecording(DeviceID device,
Boolean immediatelyActive)
throws CstaException

and for that I am doing the following:

recordingActivation = new Boolean(true);
enableRecording(id, recordingActivation);

I get this error:

../src/sampleapps/tutorial/PrimerApp.java:226: cannot resolve symbol
symbol : method enableRecording (ch.ecma.csta.binding.DeviceID,java.lang.Boolean)
enableRecording(id, recordingActivation);
^
1 error

Can anybody help with this??? I've tried lot of things but I really don't know what else to try :(

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Since it's abstract shouldn't you override that method and implement your own version, instead of calling that method?

Since it's abstract shouldn't you override that method and implement your own version, instead of calling that method?

Sorry mi ignorance, how do I override a method inside myclass? I think that is the point but I don't know how to do that

I think
It should be
recordingActivation = new Boolean("true");
instead of

We need to see more code. Post your classes. We need to see how they are declared, which are abstract and how you override your abstract methods.

And niksinghania the error clearly says that the problem is the enableRecording method (cannot resolve symbol) not how the Boolean object is created. A look at the API shows that both ways are correct:
http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Boolean.html

I doubt the OP is going to return after six years to post his classes. ;)

I doubt the OP is going to return after six years to post his classes. ;)

Ups, I never thought that niksinghania would go and post a "solution" to a 6-year-old thread

no it would be (true) not ("true")

I think
It should be
recordingActivation = new Boolean("true");
instead of

same didnt even notice is was from 5 years ago since it was at the top

Ups, I never thought that niksinghania would go and post a "solution" to a 6-year-old thread

>same didnt even notice is was from 5 years ago since it was at the top
If you had read the responses to the thread though, you would have seen those last two before you and realized it was an old, dead thread.

It's always a good idea to actually read the thread before posting so that you have the full context of what has already been said.

>same didnt even notice is was from 5 years ago since it was at the top
If you had read the responses to the thread though, you would have seen those last two before you and realized it was an old, dead thread.

It's always a good idea to actually read the thread before posting so that you have the full context of what has already been said.

yeah sorry but how would the first guy even find a thread to reopen from 5 years ago

Google or perhaps "Similar Threads" listing.

Google or perhaps "Similar Threads" listing.

... could this thread be closed lol to prevent further posting?

Yes, I think this thread has probably served its time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.