I am writing a database API in C++ and I cant seem to think of a good way to handle the errors. For example if certain error conditions are met I would like to set some sort of error flag and allow every class to check that flag. I have the following classes

Database
Table (included in Database)
Column (included in Table)

I want to set some sort of flag in Column if an error is found and then check it on the next function call to a function of table or database. I was thinking I would create an error class as follows:

class Error
{
	bool error;
	string message;

Error() {
		error = false;
		message = " ";
	}

bool isError() { return error;
	string getMessage() { return message; }
}

An Error object would be initialized in the Database class(top level class) but to set it I would have to have return types that could somehow pass up to Database every time. Is there a way to make a flag that every class can see and access? That or is there a better way to do this that I am missing? I really don't like to waste the overhead of passing info up and down the chain.

Thanks!!

Recommended Answers

Use the error handling that already built in, called stdexcept

Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

Use the error handling that already built in, called stdexcept

Thanks for information, actually I was looking for this, if you want know more information about c++ static analysis keep visit this forum.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.