I have been writting several .sh shell scripts on my home machine to do various automated tasks. Some deal with regard to backing up remote servers to my home machine.
On my home machine, I do not run a mail server for I am connected to the internet via an isp.
On the remote servers that I maintain, I have put into place routines to do sendmails which notify me of the final status of the automated scripts that I have placed there. And I receive e-mails from these machines. These machines do have mail servers.
When I have tried to use the same scripts on my home machine, I do not receive e-mails. Now, I know that part of the problem is that I do not run a mail server on my home machine. But I have changed sendmail to forward to my mail.xxxxxxxx.net mail server for my isp.
My problem is. How do I provide login information to this account? To be truthfull, I would like to send all of these messages to my gmail account because I have them saved and can access them from anywhere.
Any sugestions would be most appriceated.

droolin

use the mail command and send it directly from your remote
systems to your gmail account. youll have to modify the
scripts on each remote system.

your ISP may be blocking outbound traffic on port 25 from your home machine.
(prevents spamming) just redirect port 25 to another port (like http port 80)
this would only work if youre not intending to run apache on port 80 locally.
The iptables /etc/sysconfig/iptables should look something like this:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -d 127.0.0.1 --dport 25 -j DNAT --to 127.0.0.1:80
youll have to ensure iptables starts at runtime and is restarted after you make your changes. restart networking

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.