Hi everybody,
Now, I have to create a Word file from a word template, i have faced a difficult problem when replace a text on Word file.

In my file Word template, I have 5 lines with the text is "Name_of_Applicant". (Please note that the BOOKMARK will not use in this template)

In my C# code, I would like to do as follows:
1. Find the text "Name_of_Applicant" and Replace it.

2. I do Foreach(Word.Range tmpRange in oWordDoc.StoryRanges) { ... do something ... }. In the FOR loop, I will replace 5 lines as "Name_1", "Name_2", .... , "Name_5".

private void OpenWord_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            object oMissing = System.Reflection.Missing.Value;

oWord = new Word.Application();
            oWordDoc = new Word.Document();
            oWord.Visible = true;
            oWord.NormalTemplate.Saved = true;

oTemplatePath = "D:\\Template.doc";
            oWordDoc = oWord.Documents.Open(ref oTemplatePath, ref oMissing, ref readOnly, ref readOnly, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref readOnly, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing);

object findText = "Name_of_Applicant";
            try
            {
                int index_name = 0;
                object oReplace = "Name_" + index_name.ToString();
                foreach (Word.Range tmpRange in oWordDoc.StoryRanges)
                {
                    //The Paramater 11 is the REPLACED text
                    if (oWord.Application.Selection.Find.Execute(ref findText, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oReplace, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing))
                    {
                        index++;
                    }
                }
            }
            catch
            {
                MessageBox.Show("The text could not be located.");
            }
        }

The code above is only one of many different way that I have tried, but the above code only replace the FIRST LINE. The 4 lines left was not replaced.

Thank you very much for your help.
Cuong

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What about Mail Merge field.. can you use that?

What about Mail Merge field.. can you use that?

I also think of Mail Merge but I could not use it in this case.

In this case, after query from the Oracle Database, I will have the Recordset is a list of name of the Applicant.
So that, in the TEMPLATE file, i have to Copy and Paste the text "NAME_OF_APPLICANT" to multi lines in accordance with the Recordset.Count().
After that, I search and replace these lines.

Regarding Mail merge and bookmarks, are you not allowed to use it or you are not sure how to use it?
Coz it will make things quite easy and manageable. The only other way i can think of is by reading the contents of the word file, and simply performing a string replace on "Name_of _applicant". and then writing it back to the file.

The disadvantage is that you will loose all the formatting for the text.

I am currently working on word integration with C# as well...

The formatting for the text will be not important with me in this case.

I hope I will try to solve this problem by Find and Replace text.

Thank you

Do you have another idea ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.