Hey

I know gcc is problably the best natural complier for C but Im looking for a IDE. I cant use Visual Studio 2008 (which Id like to) as it uses it own compiler. I was using wx-dev (I believe it is called like that) and it is pretty good. I was told about Eclipse but it just sucks because it is confusing (Java; Figures). The debugger also needs to be compatibile with gdb.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

you can use code blocks it's cool

you can use code blocks it's cool

I concur - Codeblocks is good.

But I use Eclipse far more often as it has support for other languages that I use (for work and for play). So for me, it's a "one-stop" shop as far as an IDE is concerned. And it's not too bad to configure for C development. I use the MinGW toolchain in combination with gdb. The debugger has some minor issues that should hopefully be sorted out soon - but generally speaking the set up works well enough.

I concur - Codeblocks is good.

But I use Eclipse far more often as it has support for other languages that I use (for work and for play). So for me, it's a "one-stop" shop as far as an IDE is concerned. And it's not too bad to configure for C development. I use the MinGW toolchain in combination with gdb. The debugger has some minor issues that should hopefully be sorted out soon - but generally speaking the set up works well enough.

Eclipse simply sucks for C. Period. Configuring it is difficult.

I cant use Visual Studio 2008 (which Id like to) as it uses it own compiler.

Most IDEs, including Visual Studio, can be configured to use a different compiler. I am wondering why you think gcc is the best C compiler. It is certainly good, but not really much better than the other popular alternatives, in my opinion. I would say the best is Comeau because it conforms to the latest standards of both C and C++. The only problems with Comeau are it is not free, and it is only a front-end compiler, so it is not as easy as install and go.

If you will not consider anything but gcc, I think Code::Blocks is your best option. MinGW comes packaged with gcc as the default compiler, installation is a snap, and the IDE is pretty good.

code::blocks with mingw, gcc

I'm old school GVim/Vim

Most IDEs, including Visual Studio, can be configured to use a different compiler.

Really? Then how can I set in VS 2008 to use gcc and gdb as the debugger (including the rest of the minigw compilation which is the port of gcc to windows)

I am wondering why you think gcc is the best C compiler.

Simply because it conforms to the regular standards of C and it is free.

I would say the best is Comeau because it conforms to the latest standards of both C and C++. The only problems with Comeau are it is not free, and it is only a front-end compiler, so it is not as easy as install and go.

(I have never heard of the Comeau complier)
1: It is not free
2: It is not the easiest to install so that automatically makes it lose points

Then how can I set in VS 2008 to use gcc and gdb as the debugger

I am not qualified to answer that since I have not done it. But I know it can be done, so you can probably find instructions with a web search.

Simply because it conforms to the regular standards of C and it is free.

Every C compiler I know of in regular use conforms to C89, and C89 is still the defacto standard for C. The only C compiler I know of that conforms completely to C99 is Comeau. Gcc does not yet conform to C99, and unless they have fixed it, many of the custom extensions conflict with equivalent C99 features and make conformance either very fragile or impossible. It is in a better state than VC, where Microsoft has said they have no plans for conforming to C99, but partial conformance is still a portability issue.

1: It is not free
2: It is not the easiest to install so that automatically makes it lose points

Picky picky. ;) I still think Code::Blocks is your best bet, but I also think Visual C++ is the best IDE hands down.

I am not qualified to answer that since I have not done it. But I know it can be done, so you can probably find instructions with a web search.

OK....

Every C compiler I know of in regular use conforms to C89, and C89 is still the defacto standard for C. The only C compiler I know of that conforms completely to C99 is Comeau. Gcc does not yet conform to C99, and unless they have fixed it, many of the custom extensions conflict with equivalent C99 features and make conformance either very fragile or impossible. It is in a better state than VC, where Microsoft has said they have no plans for conforming to C99, but partial conformance is still a portability issue.

Exactly. I want the best complier that is compatible with C89. I have no intrest in C99.

Picky picky. ;) I still think Code::Blocks is your best bet, but I also think Visual C++ is the best IDE hands down.

Well if im "picky picky", then I invite you to go ahead and buy the complier for me and donate to me.

If I could get Visual C++ to use the gcc complier and the gdb debugger, that would be great.

Exactly. I want the best complier that is compatible with C89.

Then any of the popular compilers will meet that condition. You will not find a C89 compiler that is noticeably better than the rest.

Well if im "picky picky", then I invite you to go ahead and buy the complier for me and donate to me.

Please forgive me for the offensive remark. I will remember that your humor mechanism is in need of repair and avoid similar remarks in the future. :icon_rolleyes:

Then any of the popular compilers will meet that condition. You will not find a C89 compiler that is noticeably better than the rest.

Yet VS 2008's C compiler is different than a standard C compiler.

Please forgive me for the offensive remark. I will remember that your humor mechanism is in need of repair and avoid similar remarks in the future. :icon_rolleyes:

Please forgive me for hurting your feelings. I did not know you get so emotional over the truth.

Yet VS 2008's C compiler is different than a standard C compiler.

It conforms to C89, along with the C95 addendum. How is that not good enough? ;) Like I said, all of the commonly used compilers are equally solid with C89. In my experience gcc is no better or worse in C89 mode than VC in C89 mode. Gcc is a great compiler, and I am not trying to convince you to use VC, but your statements really do suggest either ignorance or emotional attachment to gcc.

Hey
I cant use Visual Studio 2008 (which Id like to) as it uses it own compiler

And what's the problem with that ?!
It's by far the best compiler/debugger on the market.
All Big Companies have VS 2008 Enterprise licences and nothing else. It's just unbeatable nowadays..

I rather use the VS 2008 complier myself but AFAIK it is NOT standard (eg. it will comply exactly in another IDE/complier/etc).

I dont give a shit about gcc. Also, I rather use gcc, besides the standard, is because the rest of people are using gcc so if there is a problem, it will be a common problem.

It's by far the best compiler/debugger on the market.

Best is subjective. I do not think M$'s compiler is the best, but it is competitive with the other top compilers. The IDE and debugger are the biggest selling points for VS, in my opinion.

I rather use the VS 2008 complier myself but AFAIK it is NOT standard (eg. it will comply exactly in another IDE/complier/etc).

As I said before, VS 2008 is a C89/95 compliant compiler. You said you do not care about C99, so I do not understand why you keep insisting that VC is not standard. If you have specific complaints about VC that make it not standard in your opinion, I can address them. But until then, it is just going to be back and forth with no progress.

commented: You're really selling VS quite well. I'm the closest ever to trying it out. :icon_razz: +13

It was true a few years ago that VC++ 6.0 was not very standards-compliant compiler. I suspect they got so many complaints about it that M$ decided to make it fully c++ compliant.

The problem with Microsoft compilers is that they do not support POSIX standards. So a lot of code that is written with gcc can not be easily ported to VC++. If portability is important then Code::Blocks with MinGW is probably the better IDE/compiler.

I would suggest using NetBeans IDE. It has an easy to use editor interface and gives you syntax options much like you'd find in Visual Studio. I have found NetBeans to be a great compiler for my C work.

(Never use Eclipse for C, worst one I've found)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.