When I start NetBeans I get a dialog with the following:

Cannot locate java installation in specified jdkhome: C:\Sun\SDK\jdk. Do you want to try the default version.[/QUOTE]

I click Yes and everything seems to work ok. Now, I did have the SDK installed but didn't have any need for it, plus it did seem to be a performance bear on my machine. So I uninstalled and just installed the JDK.

I have not been able to find where the jdkhome is defined, or I have but don't recognize it.

When I look at Java Platform Manager, I find two platforms. J2SE with JDK 1.6 (Default) and JAVAFX JavaFX SDK on Java 1.6 (Default).

Is the platform of JAVAFX giving me problems and I just "Remove" it?

Thanks for the help?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

No JavaFX is just add-on with NetBeans instalation. Did you set path to your installation of Java like in the first part of this article (up to point 3)?

I did not have a JAVA_HOME variable in either my User Variables or my system Variables. I added JAVA_HOME c:\Program Files\java\jdk1.6.0_16 to my user variables.and values.

Restarted NedBeans and got the same message as before.

Thanks.. Appreciate any other suggestions from those in JavaLand.

beside JAVA_HOME do you have set PATH in system variables as C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\bin ?

I insured that C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\bin was in JAVA_HOME, CLASSPATH, and PATH. Didn't fix the problem.

Appreciate any other help and/or suggestions you might have.

Thanks....

PATH is C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\bin
JAVA_HOME is C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16 (without "bin folder at the end)
CLASSPATH is not need it since Java 1.4

I have Path and JAVA_HOME set as you suggested and I removed any reference from CLASSPATH. Now, I just looked at my "Add or Remove Programs" list and find

Java DB 10.4.2.1: I assume that's Java's database, which I don't use and should be able to remove, unless Java uses it internally.

Java(TM) 6 Update 6: I assume that is the JDK that I am using.

Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 16: This could be my culprit. Right. And I should remove it. Right?

Java(TM) SE Runtime Enviroment 6 Update 1: I can remove this also, Right?

Thanks very much for your help..

>Java DB 10.4.2.1: I assume that's Java's database, which I don't use and should be able to remove, unless Java uses it internally.
Just leave it, you may want ot use it in the future

>Java(TM) 6 Update 6: I assume that is the JDK that I am using.
Not sure why you have this update since your original instalation seems to be the one bellow

>Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 16: This could be my culprit. Right. And I should remove it. Right?
Definitely keep it

>Java(TM) SE Runtime Enviroment 6 Update 1: I can remove this also, Right?
This can go

If you want to be on safe side you can delete them all and install JDK 6 Update 17 and update JAVA_Home and PATH, but that decision is really up to you. Option two, install JDK 6 Update 17 with NetBeans 6.7.1

Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to go with deleting all and reloading. I thought I saw a NetBeans 6.8.

I'll get back in a few days when I've had a chance to do it..

In your Netbeans installation directory, go to "etc/netbeans.conf". There you will find an entry for "netbeans_jdkhome".

That did it.. I commented out the line in the config file and the message disappeared.

Thank you.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.