Hello everybody,
Hope everyone is fine over here. Well .. actually, i am developing a networking application, or a client-server application where many clients on a LAN will connect to the server.

Actually I am a bit confused with the database part, one of the features of my application is where clients will have to fetch data from a database. What must I do ?? I am lost ..

I have made research but don't know how to tackle this problem. Actually, clients are on different computers on the network ... I don't know how to make them to connect to the database.

I am using VS 2008 which comes with SQL Server 2005 Express. Do I need additional softwares to implement this functionality?

Thanks a lot in advance guys. Hope to get an answer soon.

Regards,
Mike

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Begin your search in this forum, where you will find all kinds of examples. Here's a hint for your search: author = sknake

As far as your 2005 Express question, I really don't know, but I would think that you just need to use a compatible connection string...

Thanks thanks a lot for the tip. Thats what i am doing. But can someone tell me more about the software?? Will SQL Server Express be sufficient ??

Thanks a lot in advance
Regards,
Mike

Thanks thanks a lot for the tip. Thats what i am doing. But can someone tell me more about the software?? Will SQL Server Express be sufficient ??

Thanks a lot in advance
Regards,
Mike

Here are side-by-side comparisons you can use to determine whether your Express edition is sufficient for testing what you are developing and license compliance: http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/compare-features.aspx

EDIT: for VS 2008 products (doc/pdf download): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=727BCFB0-B575-47AB-9FD8-4EE067BB3A37&displaylang=en

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.