I know this may seem simple to some of you, but I really need help. I think I have part 1 correct for the most part but I really need help with the 2nd part.

Part 1
The ABC Car Service & Repair Centers are owned by the SILENT car dealer; ABC services and repairs only SILENT cars. Three ABC Car Service & Repair Centers provide service and repair for the entire state.
Each of the three centers is independently managed and operated by a shop manager, a receptionist, and at least eight mechanics. Each center maintains a fully stocked parts inventory.
Each center also maintains a manual file system in which each car’s maintenance history is kept: repairs made, parts used, costs, service dates, owner, and so on. Files are also kept to track inventory, purchasing, billing, employees’ hours, and payroll.
You have been contacted by the manager of one of the centers to design and implement a computerized system. Given the preceding information, do the following:
a. Indicate the most appropriate sequence of activities by labeling each of the following steps in the correct order. (For example, if you think that “Load the database.” is the appropriate first step, label it “1.”)
6 Normalize the conceptual model.
1 Obtain a general description of company operations.
9 Load the database.
7 Create a description of each system process.
10 Test the system.
4 Draw a data flow diagram and system flowcharts.
5 Create a conceptual model, using ER diagrams.
11 Create the application programs.
3 Interview the mechanics.
8 Create the file (table) structures.
2 Interview the shop manager.

Part 2
Create a Hierarchy Diagram to describe the various modules that you believe the system should include.

So far I think that the top box should be the company. Then the next level is where I get confused. I have the entities as employees, inventory, and maintenance... then I have the attributes steaming from the entities.
I have attached a rough copy.

Am I at least on the right track?
Thank you so much for your help!!!

Hi Sporti711,

I used to sell a database application to automotive repair shops and the app camme from Microsoft Access. It is one of their blank databases. If you want, you can check it out. But it does not do inventory, nor payroll. Perhaps you can make modifications to it for these 2 areas. Your maintenace section of the hierarchy you attached seems right to me and I don't believe you would have to worry about that if you choos the database that come with Access.

Just a suggestion to check it out.

Rmart

Ok, I will try that. Do you know the name of the database template? Is it already on Access or do I have to download it from Microsoft?
Once again thank you!

Ok, I will try that. Do you know the name of the database template? Is it already on Access or do I have to download it from Microsoft?
Once again thank you!

I believe it's called Repair Service Calls Management.

It should be on Access. You don't have to download anything.

I made changes to it, like add another sales tax. You might have to make changes as well. i.e the comment column won't print on the invoice, so you may change that so it will print; to write job details for labor and parts.

Good luck,

Rob

I just checked Access 2003 and I beleieve you have to download the template from Microsoft. Sorry, I was using Access 2000 when I used this database for Repair Service.

I apologize for the incorrect ifo I gave you yesterday.

Good Luck again,

Rmart

I believe it's called Repair Service Calls Management.

It should be on Access. You don't have to download anything.

I made changes to it, like add another sales tax. You might have to make changes as well. i.e the comment column won't print on the invoice, so you may change that so it will print; to write job details for labor and parts.

Good luck,

Rob

Thank you so much. It worked!!! Everything turned out great. Once again thank you for your help!!!

Thank you so much. It worked!!! Everything turned out great. Once again thank you for your help!!!

Hi Sporti,

Your welcome. I wish you well on your project!

Rmart

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.