I am a new c++ student trying to write code....please help.....
I have a telephone entry
Name has at most 40 charachters
Seven digit number
I want to be able to tell the number, name and reset name for name changes and reset the # if a person moves

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Dogtree

Fill in the blanks:

class Entry {
  char _name[41];  // +1 for '\0'
  char _number[7]; // Not including format characters
public:
  Entry(const char *name, const char *number);

void reset(const char *name, const char *number);

const char *name() const { /* ... */ }
  const char *number() const { /* ... */ }
};

Entry::Entry(const char *name, const char *number)
{
  // ...
}

void Entry::reset(const char *name, const char *number)
{
  // ...
}

(Dogtree, shouldn't the phone number be at least 8 for null terminator? (Probably actually 11 to include area code + null term)

It depends on the implementation; it could go either way. If no formatting information is included then there'll probably be a method to print the number and add formatting. If that's the case then the only purpose of a null character is to act as a sentinel. But if the size is always 7, there's no reason to use a sentinel such as with the name where it could be any amount up to 40 characters. As for area code, yea, I'd probably include space for that or have a separate member[*], but cspikes made it clear that the phone number was 7 characters.

[*] Actually, I'd be a lot more lenient in how phone numbers are set up for internationalization purposes. Most likely I'd write a facet to handle phone numbers and set up the data accordingly. But that's way beyond the scope of this thread, so I didn't mention it. ;)

I am a c++ student for the first time and need some help :( :o
Cards_suffle:: deck ( int suffle, float deal, int dealt)

{

cards_ shuffle_ = s;

cards_ deal_ = d;

cards_ dealt_ = d;

}

the code I am trying to write is for:

An ordinary playing card. The cards are identified by suit (club, diamonds, hearts, spade) and face value (ace, two, three, . . . . jack, queen, king). To represent the suit type, make an enumeration definition before making the struct definition of the card. Make the face values integers (1 through 13).

To represent the suit type, make an enumeration definition before making the struct definition of the card. Make the face values integers (1 through 13).

Have you done any of this?

No, but I'm trying to figure it all out, by 009:00 hours. :( :?: :?:

No offense, but if you're so pressed for time on something this simple, you probably deserve a failing grade. That said, enumerations are easy to define:

enum Suit { Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, Spades };

And an integral face value is as simple as declaring an int:

int value;
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.