Help!!!

I cannot get my combo box to populate using a select statement from mysql database.

Please see below for coding

CN = New ADODB.Connection

'Connecion to database
        CN.Open("driver={mysql odbc 5.1 driver};server=localhost;database=v_control;user=root;password=;option=3")

RS = New ADODB.Recordset

RS.Open(SQLdata, CN, ADODB.CursorTypeEnum.adOpenUnspecified, ADODB.LockTypeEnum.adLockPessimistic)

If DBconnect() = True Then
            SQLSearch("select * from engineer (EngineerNumber")

RS.MoveFirst()
            While RS.EOF = False
                Do
                    cmbEngNum.Items.Add("EngineerNumber")
                    RS.MoveNext()
                Loop
            End While
        End If

but this reports the following error

[MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver][mysqld-5.1.36-community-log]You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '(EngineerNumber' at line 1

Any ideas would be most appreciated, im quite new to this as you can probly tell.

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Actually, your error is literally what the compiler displays. You _do_ have an error in your SQL syntax. It should be SELECT * FROM engineer .

I don't really know what the ADODB class for row storage is, so i'll just call it RowSet , so, supposing you have a Name column for the engineer's name, when you add the combobox items, it should be something like:

Dim queryStr As String = "SELECT * FROM engineer"
RowSet = SQLSEARCH(queryStr)
Dim count As Integer = 0
While Not RS.EOF Loop
   cmbEngNum.Add(RowSet.Rows[count].Columns["Name"].Value.ToString())
End While

Remember the results of a query are returned in a table format, so you must have an object receiving that value, and you must read through this object to assign the desired value to the combobox items.

Hi thanks for your help, managed to get this working, used the following code

If DBconnect() = True Then

SQLSearch("Select * FROM engineer")
            RS.MoveFirst()
            While RS.EOF = False
                cmbEngNum.Items.Add(RS.Fields.Item("EngineerNumber").Value)
                RS.MoveNext()
            End While
        End If

Great! Always a pleasure... (Mark it as solved so it can be useful to others)

how about in VB6.0, how can i populate items in my combobox using records from my mssql table? this is my code: but it says eithe BOF nd EOF is true; or the currentrecord has been deleted.

RS.Open "select Payment_Desc from tblPaymentdetails where Stud_No='" & txtSearchStudent.Text & "'", cn, 3, 2

RS.MoveLast
With Me.cboPaymentDetails
.Clear
Do
.AddItem RS!Payment_Desc
RS.MoveNext
Loop Until RS.EOF
End With
RS.Close
cn.Close
Set RS = Nothing
Set cn = Nothing

pls help me.. thanks!

. hi need your help regarding my vb project . using combobox in my vb and transfering its data from my database. I really need some help !! :icon_sad:

What exactly are you trying to achieve ylsehl00?

Comments on using his connections to SQL, how to code themselves when using the Database Access

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.