Hello,

Can anyone recommend an light weight IDE for C development? Preferably open source, but definitely free. (for Windows)

It doesn't need to have its own version control - I'm using subversion - a plugin to subversion would be nice but it okay if it doesn't.

Currently my colleague is using Borland C++ to develop and compile C code. It looks a little heavy and I'd prefer to use something much simpler.

Thanks in advance, Michelle

Edited 7 Years Ago by michelle1: forgot something

If you want simple and complex then try VIM...

Mmm... Thanks Gerard, if I'm thinking of the right thing (vi enhanced) - mmm... is it possible to I be able to set breakpoints, step over and step into? I think in the least I'll need that.

Edited 7 Years Ago by michelle1: n/a

Mmm... Thanks Gerard, if I'm thinking of the right thing (vi enhanced) - mmm... is it possible to I be able to set breakpoints, step over and step into? I think in the least I'll need that.

That would be a debugger your talking about...If you expect your IDE to come fully featured then it won't be lightweight....Can VIM use a debugger? I really don't know because I never tried...

I would look into Code blocks, Gedit, Kwrite, Kdevelop, bluefish...or just Google Linux IDE since most are ported to Windows.

Edited 7 Years Ago by gerard4143: n/a

>If you expect your IDE to come fully featured then it won't be lightweight....
The very definition of IDE implies a text editor, a compiler, a debugger, and build tools. vim is a text editor, not an IDE. That's why developers work with several individual tools such as vim, gdb, gcc, and make when working without an IDE.

Try bloodshed dev-c++ (it supports c). I don't what's the project status now, when I was on Windows, i used to use that.

What I need: debugger, compiler, text completion, navigate the project structure, and nice to have: subversion plugin. All right - even if its not THAT light weight - any recommendations for a more sexy up-to-date IDE other than Borland which contains all these features?

....at this point anything is looking lighter than Borland C++. It just doesn't make sense that it should take so much to install and setup a simple little environment. [thank-you both for your replies]

Edited 7 Years Ago by michelle1: n/a

Try Code::Blocks or Bluefish.

IMO Code::Blocks is better, since Bluefish started life as web development IDE.

Alternative is downloading notepad++ and also gnu compiler package.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.