Hello all,
I have the bluej source code in eclipse, and it compiles fine, but when I try to run it BlueJ starts fine, and then pops up an error window that says that bluej couldn't create a VM.

My installed BlueJ has never given me this error before, so it isn't the computer. But, when I try to run the source through the command line BlueJ freezes at the splash screen, I think I'm missing something about that.

here's a picture of the error message http://matrixpeckham.googlepages.com/bluejineclipseproblem.jpg

could this be eclipse preventing the VM from being created? How can I fix it?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I tried turning off my firewall, and it didn't do anything to help.

In the \package\winlaunch directory, there are some C/C++ files that (when ran after being compiled) are used to select the VM.

My guess as to why these are are is that Java doesn't have the ability to easily traverse the Windows architecture, and integrate well with the OS. Therefore, C/C++ mixed with the Win API is used to find and check the VM. (When you run "Select VM" in the installed BlueJ directory, this is what that code is used for - Making that Window, and finding the VM to use) You're problem probably lays there - good luck getting through that. If Eclipse can't open/compile the C/C++ files, go look into Microsoft Visual C++, Dev-C++, or Borland C++. I know the 1st 2 are free, I don't know about Borland, I've never used it.
Once you get the C/C++ code up and running, and BlueJ all ready to go, you're on your own, but my guess is that the exe and jar files need to be in the same directory.

I hope this helps, let us know if it does - I've been wanting to look through the BlueJ source code for a while and get it running, I've just never got around to it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.