Hi,

I am writing a web app using C# and asp.net. The requirement is that: there is a button "browse" on the webform, when user click it, the folders on the server will be showed. after user select one folder, the fullpath of this folder will be returned. There is no web control could do that. does anybody know how to do it?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

On the server side, you'd use Server.MapPath to specify the viritual path to your directory. Then perhaps DirectoryInfo.GetFiles to return a filelist. Iterate through that list to populate whatever Server Control you want to contain that data. A Repeater, perhaps.

On the server side, you'd use Server.MapPath to specify the viritual path to your directory. Then perhaps DirectoryInfo.GetFiles to return a filelist. Iterate through that list to populate whatever Server Control you want to contain that data. A Repeater, perhaps.

Probably I did not descript it clearly. There is a "browse" button on the web form, after I click it, there should be a folder selection dialog come out. It is quite like the "save as" dialog in windows but the different is that it could choose to select folder or select multiple files.

Thank you for your reply.

You can let the user browse their LOCAL file system, and select a file to upload, via the <input type="file"> HTML tag. There is no equivalent to let a user browse the server's file system.

I understood your question. My answer was meant to show you that you'll have to code this yourself, and some of the .NET classes you could use to do so.

Left unstated is what the user would do with a file they selected. To know what they selected, you'll have to generate a PostBack / form submit, and then presumably serve them back the selected file via a Response.Redirect() to that file.

You can let the user browse their LOCAL file system, and select a file to upload, via the <input type="file"> HTML tag. There is no equivalent to let a user browse the server's file system.

I understood your question. My answer was meant to show you that you'll have to code this yourself, and some of the .NET classes you could use to do so.

Left unstated is what the user would do with a file they selected. To know what they selected, you'll have to generate a PostBack / form submit, and then presumably serve them back the selected file via a Response.Redirect() to that file.

Thanks for your reply. but the dialog box only let user select file not folder. How can I do to make the folder or file could be both returned? Would you pls give me some real code?

No, I don't think I'll post any "real code". You're undertaking a sizable project, and that's a bit beyond the scope of coding for a forum example.

Quite simply, you have to duplicate the entire "open file dialog" box of the Win32 API. Such a thing just doesn't exist on the web. Web servers aren't built for this task. You'll have to code the entire graphic form, somehow using Web Server Controls... then populate the controls with the directory and file information. Then code all the events for when a user clicks a file or folder, each of which will require a server round-trip.

It's a big, big project. I think you'd be much better off making your project conform to the way the web works: give your users a list of hyperlinks.

I am working on asp.net with c# and sql server.The scenario is like the user is taking the

backup of db and will store it in a particular loaction . now the issue is how to provide

the folder dialogbox to the user to select the location. we have file upload in asp.net but

that will allow me to uplaod the file on the db but i want the folder location in textbox

so that i can store the db over there. how will i do this.please help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.