Hi All,

I recently made the move from Windows to Mandriva Linux 2010, in Windows I used an IDE to write my code then build my projects, in Linux I cant find a suitable IDE im really struggling to build my projects.

Now I can write my projects in kwrite that isnt a problem but does anyone know the process of building the project within the unix console?

Thanks very much

John

When working in linux the program that I like to use Netbeans to code c++ applications in is netbeans w/ c++ plugin. Takes a little time to set your project up but once its done your set all you have to do is hit build and run.

Edited 6 Years Ago by Talguy: n/a

This should be a good learning experience. I'd start by manually compiling your projects, then later you can move into make files.

Ok so G++ works to compile my program, thanks for that.

So when I use G++ to compile my program it creates an output file or an executable file but the program wont run when I doulble click the output/executable file and I cant seem to make it run in a terminal window (to be honest im not entirely sure how).

So does this mean that there are problems with my code, I dont think there is to be honest, I used Kdevelop 4 to write my code and it didnt pick up any problems.

or is there another process before I can run my program?

whilst im here what is the cammand or how do you run a program from a unix terminal screen.

Thanks in advanced.

John

if you program compiled correctly then there shouldn't really be a problem with the could. In the terminal windows you want to change the directory to the directory where your executable is. The type the follow without the quotes "./ <your file name>" this will execute your program

if you program compiled correctly then there shouldn't really be a problem with the could. In the terminal windows you want to change the directory to the directory where your executable is. The type the follow without the quotes "./ <your file name>" this will execute your program

Thanks for the reply Talguy, this is the reply I get from Terminal

[john-ellis@localhost Documents]$ ./ <vehicle>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

What does this mean?

Cheers

John

your command should be this ./vehicle

sorry forgot to tell you there was no space and carrots when running the command in the terminal

your command should be this ./vehicle

sorry forgot to tell you there was no space and carrots when running the command in the terminal

Lovley job, thanks very much.

Job

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.