I have written a working calculator program but it will not work out negative inputs. For example, 3+2 = 5.0, but, -2+5 = Wrong type of expression (error message).

The user inputs the calculation which is called "expression". I have two stacks, one for operators and one for operands and the input is broken into tokens. I need to add a way of saying, if the first number is a negative do not add the '-' to the operator stack, and, if the number after a '(' is negative do not add '-' to the operator stack. However I cannot figure this out. Can anyone help? Thanks.

This is the main evaluation method:

Stack<Double> operandStack = new Stack<Double>();		
Stack<Character> operatorStack = new Stack<Character>();

//Extract operands and operators
java.util.StringTokenizer tokens = new java.util.StringTokenizer(expression, "()*/+-", true);

while(tokens.hasMoreTokens()){
	String token = tokens.nextToken().trim();
	System.out.print(token.trim().charAt(0)); 

if(token.length() == 0) 
		continue; 
	else if(token.charAt(0) == '+' || token.charAt(0) == '-'){
		//Process all operators on the top of operator stack
		while(!operatorStack.isEmpty() &&
				(operatorStack.peek().equals('+') || 
				operatorStack.peek().equals('-') ||
				operatorStack.peek().equals('*') || 
				operatorStack.peek().equals('/')
				)){
			process(operandStack, operatorStack);
		}
		operatorStack.push(new Character(token.charAt(0)));
	}

else if(token.charAt(0) == '*' || token.charAt(0) == '/'){
		while(!operatorStack.isEmpty() && 
				(operatorStack.peek().equals('*') || 
				operatorStack.peek().equals('/')
				)){

}
		operatorStack.push(new Character(token.charAt(0)));
	}
	else if(token.trim().charAt(0) == '('){
		operatorStack.push(new Character('(')); 
	}
	else if(token.trim().charAt(0) == ')'){
		while(!operatorStack.peek().equals('(')){
		}
		operatorStack.pop(); 
	}
	else{ 
		operandStack.push(new Double(token));
	}
}

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have written a working calculator program but it will not work out negative inputs. For example, 3+2 = 5.0, but, -2+5 = Wrong type of expression (error message).

The user inputs the calculation which is called "expression". I have two stacks, one for operators and one for operands and the input is broken into tokens. I need to add a way of saying, if the first number is a negative do not add the '-' to the operator stack, and, if the number after a '(' is negative do not add '-' to the operator stack. However I cannot figure this out. Can anyone help? Thanks.

This is a little tricky because '-' is dual-purpose. One way to handle it is to keep track of the last type of token you processed (operator or operand). When '-' shows up after an operand, it's the subtraction operator; when it shows up after an operator (or at the beginning of the token stream) it's the negation operator. Then you can handle it whichever way is appropriate.

For more details, read about the shunting-yard algorithm.

This is a little tricky because '-' is dual-purpose. One way to handle it is to keep track of the last type of token you processed (operator or operand). When '-' shows up after an operand, it's the subtraction operator; when it shows up after an operator (or at the beginning of the token stream) it's the negation operator. Then you can handle it whichever way is appropriate.

For more details, read about the shunting-yard algorithm.

Ok, thanks for the information, going to take a look at the link now. I know what I need to do in my head just can't code it. Kind of frustrating!

Took a look and I understand what the logic is but I have no experience of C, can you offer any help for java? Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.