QuikID 0 Newbie Poster

I'm having trouble installing interbase 6.0.2.0 on a corporate client's computer. They've got a dell optiplex gx150, pentium 3 with 128M ram, with win2k 5.00.2195 SP2.
I know that their hardware and software are all cloned from master images. So it is NOT an option to install windows patches, service packs, hotfixes, windowsupdate or windows changes of any kind. Nor is it an option to change the hardware. I do not know if they've made wacky customizations to the standard win2k sp2. my guess is they have not. And if they have, the changes probably don't amount to much. The network card is a motherboard-integrated 3com 3c920 which identifies itself as 3c905c-tx compatible.

the symptoms are:
after installing interbase, before rebooting, the nic still works. Immediately after rebooting the nic has a driver problem, a yellow exclamation point in device manager, and didn't work. I fixed it by clicking update driver from device manager/properties. It got its driver from c:\winnt\inf. it used netel90x.inf

then the nic works until next reboot when the same thing happens again, even if I don't touch interbase or anythign else. the same driver update procedure fixes it. I did this many times in a row and it was very consistent. I tried changing interbase to not run as a service - no change.

uninstalling interbase and permanently fixing the nic was interesting. I had to do this sequence twice identically... reboot fix nic with driver update uninstall interbase with automatic rollback reboot surprising part - nic is still broken fix nic with driver update reboot nic now works

the surprising part was having to reboot twice after uninstalling interbase.

--

Has anybody run into this? Any suggestions?

I've thought of using firebird sql, I've tested it with my app and it works. But I haven't installed it at the client - firebird's uninstall didn't ask the "would you like to rollback?" question so I'm a bit nervous about braeking things in a way that I cannot fix if I install firebird on the client's computer.

Anything else?
I can install and uninstall, break and fix the client's computer at will now. What info should I gather to help troubleshoot this problem? Even if I do figure out what dll(s) or other changes interbase is making that's braeking it, what can I do about it?

thanks