How would I make or find a spellcheck for wordpad and I don't mean like all spellchecker I mean like a built in spellcheck like in word were you just press F7 and bam no haveing a whole other program up so how would I even start to make that?

How would I make or find a spellcheck for wordpad and I don't mean like all spellchecker I mean like a built in spellcheck like in word were you just press F7 and bam no haveing a whole other program up so how would I even start to make that?

I don't have the complete answer to the question, but there are some resources that might be worth looking at but it will not be an instant fix.

1. find a list of words
2. index the words for fast look-ups
3. combine this into rich text box application

In short it would be faster to find one that already exists such as word.

First how to add a spellchecker. You first need a list of all valid spellings to have in a large file. A partial fix for this would be something like WordNet although it only contains verbs, nouns, adjectives and adverbs.

Then once a user enters a character into a rich text field such as wordpad you need to detect if it is a non-letter. If it is a non-letter you need to find the word in the dictionary.
You can do this with a keyboard event listener for OnKeydown();

The next step is getting a Richtext box application There is too much required to give all of the details here but these are some of the starting points to consider.

If you have a full or student version of visio there is a resource option of using a text editor and then you can put a wrapper around this class you can then add your own functions and features such as the spell check.

If not make a dialog application in something like MFC and start with just a multiline edit box.You can listen for events.

The other option is right your spell checker as a dll then you would need to launch word pad from another program and use dll injection
this can be achieved through tools such as Micrsoft Detours which is a research program.

If you are not an experienced programmer anything beyond a windows dialog application and a test vocabulary will be very time consuming.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.