Hello,

I have an Excel file with 40,000 rows of data. I would like to create a program in which reads the first column of the 40,000 lines and allows me to choose which row to edit.

After selecting the row to edit, I'd like a form to come up in which I enter my data, and then the .xls file is amended in the proper columns (for the given row) based on the data I put in.

Is this even possible? And what functions should I use to read the .xls file in Python??

Also, would this be easier using another programming language?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is this even possible? And what functions should I use to read the .xls file in Python??

Also, would this be easier using another programming language?

Thanks!

Very possible but with GUI. I know wxPython can do that ;)
Check Jan's skeletons and see if it is what you want. Note that you can accomplish that with Java as well as C/C++ and many other languages. Just use right tool for the right job

That would be Interop.
It's certainly possible with Python, you just have to use the right modules.

Although in my opinion it would be easiest in a .NET language,
like C# or VB.NET, but that might be because I am more fluent in .NET, and I know that .NET provides ways to interact with Office.

Python actually has outstanding libraries for excel interaction:
xlrd
xlwt
xlutils

Although in my opinion it would be easiest in a .NET language.... because I am more fluent in .NET

Another would give same statement for same reason :)

Any language can do. Just with right tools Job get done elegantly and....funny

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.