I am new to programming. If it's a dumb question please forgive me for wasting a thread. But I wanna know.

Why is this code not working?

int main() {
    char sndex[6][8];

The Compiler (MingW + DevCPP) is showing this:

In function "int main()"
expected primary-expression befor '{' token
expected ';' before '{' token
expected primary-expression before '{' toke
expected ';' before '{' token

The above-mentioned error is being repeated for all the six statements of the assignment.

Votes + Comments
Very good! First post and [code] tags.
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by gtcoder

An array can only be initialized when it is declared. Once it's been declared, you have to store the data using strcpy or some such thing.

/* To initialize during declaration. */
    sndex[6][9] = {"BFPV","CGJKQSXZ",...};

/* To store during runtime. */
    strncpy( sndex[0], "BFPZ", 8 );

As a word of warning, always give yourself an extra byte of space past the end of your longest string, so that you can save that byte for a null byte. For example, "CGJKQSXZ" is actually 9 bytes large, so I had to increase the size of the array by 1 in order to fit it.

Of course, that's is the C style of making string arrays. Since you're using C++, you may be better off creating an array of String objects.

#include <string>

int main( )
    string sndex[6];

sndex[0] = "BFPV";
    sndex[1] = "CGJKQSXZ";

Use whichever you prefer.

Edited by IsharaComix: This is the C++ forum? Oops.

Thanks a lot for this answer. I had a confusion about this for a long time.

Later I solved it using this method.

I created a class which has a constructor that takes inputs for initializing it's objects. This simply

sndex snd[5] = {"String 1", "String 2", ...... , "String 5" };

I just love this automation. Anyway, I later had to implement your method for doing it in C.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.