<<thread split>>

Who exactly?
The OP left the forum 4 YEARS ago.
And there the thread lay, nice and quiet until a day ago.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Who exactly?
The OP left the forum 4 YEARS ago.
And there the thread lay, nice and quiet until a day ago.

So what? I'm new to the forum looking for the answer to this exact question. I always try to find existing threads before asking but since you mentioned the age of the post I guess I'll re-ask... what is the best compiler for C++ TODAY. ;-)

My stats slightly differ... Vista 64, beginning student, heading to game programming.

Moochas Poochas.

> So what? I'm new to the forum looking for the answer to this exact question
Yeah, so new that you just had to speak before learning to read.
Don't resurrect old threads!

The answer from last week seems as good as any, now that you're here.

Guys, im pretty sure you lost him with all the chatter lol. Just download either Dev-c++ or 2008 VC++ express. They will do anything you need for now, especially if you are just learning.

> So what? I'm new to the forum looking for the answer to this exact question
Yeah, so new that you just had to speak before learning to read.
Don't resurrect old threads!

The answer from last week seems as good as any, now that you're here.

Wow! You're pretty rude Salem. Hope that made you feel nice and powerful because it made me feel like crap. Just so you know. I DID read the rules first that's why I searched for an applicable thread before I posted. I didn't want to create a brand new post if the old answers applied but since things change and they were old thought it best to ask again to see if something newer was better. Sorry for being some dumb newbie girl I geuss.

Guys, im pretty sure you lost him with all the chatter lol. Just download either Dev-c++ or 2008 VC++ express. They will do anything you need for now, especially if you are just learning.

Thanks Clutchkiller... I'll try that. I can't afford school so I'm trying to learn on my own off the web and from books. Wasn't sure how to find a good compiler... didn't even know I needed one until I got the book I'm using in the mail. (Sam's Teach Yourself C++) it says it works with any but didn't make suggestions. Thanks for the recommendations... I really appreciate it. Guess I need a thicker skin!! =)

commented: And yet somehow you managed to bump a dead thread, and then want to argue about the forum rules - go away, you're a waste of space -4

I've split the thread in a new one, but something went wrong (or I did something wrong) but post #1 should not be here...
Anyway: code::blocks with the mingw is a good place to start. Small, easy, free, what more do you want? :)

Hmm, I'd have to echo what Nick and Clutchkiller said.
The express version of Visual C++ 2008 or Code::Blocks with mingw are the best free C++ IDE's/compilers for windows.

But I'd steer clear of Dev-C++ as it is no longer being developed or maintained. Better to stick with something more up to date IMHO!

Cheers for now,
Jas.

Though not of use to any of above repliers and solution seekers...
But if someone wants to shift from the old turbo C++ (yes, the one with the blue screen) can use the borland C++. It has the same basic structure as the old turbo C++, has most of the shortcuts intact and the best part is that it is free. I can't tell for the mingw and other graphic supports as i haven't used any of them on it (guess, you will have to find that yourself as i haven't learned it yet).

That link to Turbo C++ Explorer 2006 is incorrect.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.