Stupid question, I'm sure: For an assignment I need to create a program that uses methods and constructors in several other classes... the classes were in a file that I unpacked and put in the same directory as the one I'm writing is in. What do I need to do so that I can call other methods/constructors from those classes and get my program to compile without telling me it can't find them??

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Instantiate the class then call the method you need

If they aren't part of the same package then lets say you have a class called OtherClass in a package called other. Then you would need to add the following statement to the top of the class you wanted to use OtherClass from:

import other.OtherClass;

Then you would be able to do something like

//in some method:
OtherClass object = new OtherClass();
System.out.println(object.toString());

You'll also face problems importing those classes if they were compiled into packages and you have unpacked them into a different directory structure.

edit: Just to elaborate a bit, in the example BJSC posted above, the compiler would expect "OtherClass" to be found in a directory named "other".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.