Hello again,

Whenever I run a certain .exe in my CGI script, it opens the process but does not bring up the application. I am forced to close it out through task manager. Both exec & system have the same result. I created an autoit script to run the .exe and called it, but it does the same thing. Running notepad & wordpad in the same fashion produce the same results. The cgi script executes completely in the browser.

system ('start /b C:\xampp\htdocs\run_example.exe');

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

No, the cgi script does not execute "in the browser". A CGI script runs on the server, and that is where the "application" is opening. A CGI script produces HTML (or whatever other output it is designed to produce, such as XML, etc) and that is what the browser gets. Any thing else, happens on the server.

Ok nice to know. So how can I open a program on the client machine when a user opts to do so in the browser (In this case, by using check boxes and a submit button) ? This is running on a local network, so each client will be setup to run.

Oh, and when I said it executes completely in the browser, I meant it does what the script is supposed to do otherwise. No warnings/errors with -w or -T in the shell either.

Not with a CGI of any kind. JavaScript, maybe.

Ok nice to know. So how can I open a program on the client machine when a user opts to do so in the browser (In this case, by using check boxes and a submit button) ? This is running on a local network, so each client will be setup to run.

Oh, and when I said it executes completely in the browser, I meant it does what the script is supposed to do otherwise. No warnings/errors with -w or -T in the shell either.

You can run ActiveX in the IE or java applet in any browser if permissions allow it. Both of them have some restrictions in the browser and can not make the same functionality as standalone application.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.