Hey guys , i am trying to write an array into a textfile. Here is the coding...

int main() {
    ofstream myfile("report.txt");
    int g = 0;

int billy [] = {16, 2, 77, 40, 12071};

for (int n=0 ; n<5 ; n++ )
  {
      g = billy[n];
      myfile << g ;
  }

}

The output which comes out in report.txt is...

Well , my expected output in report.txt would be.

I tried adding "\n" to my statement like this...

myfile << g  << "\n" ;

but it dosnt seem to work. Can sombody tell me what is wrong with the way i write the statement into the file?

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Fbody

so even with the "\n" it writes them all into the same line? It worked fine for me; You might try endl instead of "\n" ; it does the same thing, but you don't have to call it in a string like with "\n".

Try using "endl" instead of '\n'. Also, consider getting rid of the "g" variable, all it really does is take up memory and require extra steps.

int main() {

{
      myfile << billy[n] << endl;
  }

return 0;
}

[edit]
eesh...... I really need to stop distracting myself while posting...

Edited by Fbody: n/a

Weird. i tried using endl; but it still reads all into the same line. IM using netbeans ide 6.8 in windows 7.

Edited by gregarion: n/a

The IDE is essentially irrelevant. More important is what compiler are you using? For example, many people say they use Dev-C++ IDE. Well, that's all well and good, but which compiler are you using? Dev-C++ uses the MinGW compiler by default, but it can use others.

This works fine for me on MS-VC++ '08

This is what I get:

Yep.

#include <fstream>
using std::ofstream;
using std::endl;

int main()
{

{
    myfile << billy[n] << endl;
  }

return 0;
}

Are you sure you are opening the correct output file? Are you opening the produced file on a *nix system after producing it on a Win system (or vice versa)?

Im not sure but does it has to do with the fact i am using windows notepad to create the txt file?

I've opened the file in FBIde, notepad, notepad++, VS, and WordPad. They all appear correctly.

I suggest that you delete the file you are opening and see if the program re-creates it when run. If it does not, then we know you were opening the incorrect version of the file.

Post the new file's contents and your new code for us to look at.

You should be able to treat a file stream just like a console stream. I think you should try a different compiler. There may be a bug in yours. Try MinGW or VC++ Express.

Sorry , but im quite new at this . Im not very sure on how i can go about downloading a new compiler. The one i am using is from the Netbeans website tutorial about using C++.

Any instructions i can follow?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.