So is it worth learning win32 API instead of just shooting straight to Microsoft Foundation Classes? One of my classes covered win32 for a little and I was able to do a couple fun things with it, but then we jumped into MFC. It makes you ask the question, is Win32 even viable anymore? What do you guys think?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

>>So is it worth learning win32 API instead of just shooting straight to Microsoft Foundation Classes?

Absolutely. That will give you a lot better understanding of what's going on in the background. It's MFC that is rusty and outdated, not win32. You would probably be better off learning Forms and C++/CLR than MFC.

Could you expand on that? From what I have been told, and from what I have already learned, MFC seems like the more suitable choice for basically all windows programming(not considering VB or C#). MFC is OO while win32 is not. That alone is a pretty powerful reason. Enlighten me if you will =D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.