I have recently been experimenting wih an AIML bot (located here, it's open source: http://ntoll.org/article/project-an-aiml-chatterbot-in-c). The link to the documentation is broken however, so I am having a lot of difficulty trying to get it to run.

Currently the bot is reading and loading all the necessary .xml files to run, but every time I give it input to respond to it times out. I have had to modify the source code already to get it to read the necessary .xml files, to prevent editing the source code further I think it would be a good idea to ask if anyone has had luck with the bot. So far my code looks like this:

private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            Bot x = new Bot();
            x.loadSettings("C:\\development\\AIMLbot\\AIMLbot\\ConfigurationFiles\\Settings.xml"); 

FileInfo testFile = new FileInfo("C:\\development\\AIMLbot\\AIMLbot\\ConfigurationFiles\\Client.xml");
            if (testFile.Exists)
            {
                XmlDocument loadxmldoc = new XmlDocument();
                loadxmldoc.Load("C:\\development\\AIMLbot\\AIMLbot\\ConfigurationFiles\\Client.xml");
                x.loadAIMLFromXML(loadxmldoc, "client.xml");
                Console.WriteLine("written xml document to bot");
            }
            User stu = new User("Stuart", x);

Request Question = new Request("what are you?", stu, x);
            Result Answer = x.Chat(Question);
            Console.WriteLine(Answer.Output); 
        }

Every time the program runs through the writeline function fires off with the "written xml document to bot", but the second writeline function prints a single white space.
I have linked to the necessary library and am using the namespace AIMLbot. If anyone has sucessfully used the aimlbot2.5 please let me know how you did it.

According to the Usage Instructions in the linked page, that last line should be Console.WriteLine(Answer.getOutput());

Unfortunately the instructions on the linked page are for the AIMLbot 1.0, the function getOutput() doesn't exist anymore. The available output functions are .output and .rawoutput.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.