Hi, i've have just created my first program in visual c++ 2008 express edition and i'd like to know, if I can create an exe file to make this program run independently from visual studio. thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

By building the solution, it is already creating the exectutable(check your project settings for 'output directory'.

Since you are building with the Express edition of Visual Studio, the 'C++ redistributables' need to be installed on any computer where u wish to run your executable(mostly it is).

Hi, i've have just created my first program in visual c++ 2008 express edition and i'd like to know, if I can create an exe file to make this program run independently from visual studio. thanks

Absolutely. Once the .exe file is created, the program no longer needs Visual Studio. Visual Studio CAN execute the program, but so can anything else.

Look for the .exe file that Visual Studio creates. You can do a "Clean", then a "Build" in Visual Studio to make sure you have a current timestamp, then search for it. The default is that the executable is named the same as the project and is placed in a directory called "Debug". Make sure you have "Release" rather than "Debug" selected when you have Visual Studio create the executable. Then copy that executable wherever you like and run it directly via command line or double clicking.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.