Hello everyone, I've just started using the pypcap and dpkt modules and tried the code on google code for pypcap and I get nothing.

Heres the code I used:

import dpkt, pcap
pc = pcap.pcap()
pc.setfilter('icmp')

for ts, pkt in pc:
     print `dpkt.ethernet.Ethernet(pkt)`

I think this is suposed to print all the ICMP packets that are caught on the wire, but I get nothing, even when I ping something.

Theres almost no documentation(that I can find) so I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong. Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this.

Also if someone knows of a tutorial that explains the pypcap module, I would be very happy. I've seen this one and am not getting much from it.

http://jon.oberheide.org/blog/2008/08/25/dpkt-tutorial-1-icmp-echo/

Thanks

EDIT: Also, I'm using python 2.5

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Make sure you are the root! In C program I have had the same problem when I run the program as common user, but I got the right result when I sudo it.

I'm on windows, so I don't think thats the problem.

Thanks though.

I'm on windows, so I don't think thats the problem.

Hah, I think that might be your exact problem, especially if you're on Vista. Try a good old 'Run as Administrator.' And maybe implement something like so:

import os

if os.geteuid() != 0:
  print "You must be root to run this script."

Sorry for the late reply, I checked and I am administrator.

I tried your code just to make sure, but I get an error. Its nothing with your code just my installation, I think.

One thing though, is the administrator account that you get to by going into safe mode have the same privileges as an account that you create as an administrator.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.