Hi,

I recently started using Linux and have come to find that it suits me better than Windows.
I am a newbie in C/C++ programming and my questions are

1. How suitable is Linux for learning C/C++ programming as most of the books i have come across are based on windows. What are the pros and cons.
  2. I would like to be pointed to where i could/should get advanced C/C++ books

Should i just stick to Windows??
Thought i would find unbiased information from this forum
Thank You in advance.

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by lionaneesh

You should be able to learn C and C++ from *nix without any problems -- the language itself is platform independent. You run into cross-platform problems when you start writing programs that call platform-specific functions, such as GUI and hardware. But for learning the language *nix is a good as any other. I suppose it can be a little frustrating when you are just starting to learn what is and is not platform dependent functions.

As for books -- there is an entire thread at the beginning of this c++ forum devoted to that subject.

Edited by Ancient Dragon: n/a

Hi,

I recently started using Linux and have come to find that it suits me better than Windows.
I am a newbie in C/C++ programming and my questions are

1. How suitable is Linux for learning C/C++ programming as most of the books i have come across are based on windows. What are the pros and cons.
  2. I would like to be pointed to where i could/should get advanced C/C++ books

Should i just stick to Windows??
Thought i would find unbiased information from this forum
Thank You in advance.

That's Very good start Madawar , I personally learnt C on Linux only and am still learning...There should be no problem in that..

Secondly . On a linux platform you will learn more as you have do all work on your own and It doesn't hold your hand like windows....So...Keep learning....great start ...Keep it up

Thanks for answering tutorials links have been a lifesaver...

>> On a linux platform you will learn more as you have do all work on your own

Not if you post your questions here on DaniWeb :) There are a lot of expert *nix programmers here ready and willing to answer questions (No, I'm not one of them).

do a man....

Remember for any problem on Linux command line functions Do a quick man...

In your case:-

$ man gcc

If you cant get it from man.... ask your best friend google ....

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.