I have no idea where to start with this... I have no experience coding with perl, so maybe if someone could show me to a guide about how to go about doing this and push me in the right direction

I have a website where users can uploaded recorded games for Age of Mythology. I want to make it so that when a user uploads a recorded game, a script will extract some of the data from the file (including map type, player's names, etc).

Here is an example file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/786530/LittleBraver_vs_Vip_Victory.rec

Many websites already do this, so I know it's possible but I have no idea how to start.

This is a binary file. Unless you know the location and hex value of each entry your trying to extract, it's gonna to be tough to do it in perl or any other language. I looked through your file in a HEX editor (Ultraedit). I couldn't find anything that is ASCII in it. It seems to be encoded. Perhaps there is a tool that someone has written that can do this for you. Sorry I couldn't help you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.