I have developed a vb.net database application(desktop application with sql 2005).I managed to create setup files(.msi) which is running on my pc.but when i install this application on my client system the application is running but all database operations fails.Pls any one suggest a solution.
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Depending on what error message you get, my first guess is that you're not using
dedicated login credentials for the SQL server.

What I mean is, you are probably using Windows Authentication instead of a specific username and password, and that your client system does not have access to the server.

Thank u for ur reply.Ya...you r right.I am using windows authentication.but when i install sql server management studio 2005 in client system and restore my database back up means application is working fine..but is it really necessary to install sql server on client system and how can i get rid of this prob.

Oh, no.
On the sql server, create a new user with a password, and give this user read-write access to the database in question.

Then, use this user to logon to the server from your application.
Just type in the username and password in your connection string.

I'm assuming, of course, that you're using a stand-alone SQL Server 2005.

Hi Oxiegen,
Finally i made it to work on client system without having to install sql server 2005 and restore the database.
First i gave the connection string as follows

conn = New SqlConnection("Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|databaseName.MDF;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True")

then while creating the setup project using setup wizard,i added database(.mdf and .ldf) to the application

Thank you for ur guidance....

Hi Oxiegen,
Finally i made it to work on client system without having to install sql server 2005 and restore the database.
First i gave the connection string as follows

conn = New SqlConnection("Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|databaseName.MDF;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True")

then while creating the setup project using setup wizard,i added database(.mdf and .ldf) to the application

Thank you for ur guidance....

Glad to be of help. :)
Please mark this thread as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.