Member Avatar for yoni0505

Hi there, I want to make a program with visual C++ 2010 using windows form.
My problem is that I want to include "windows.h" and I can't find out how to do that.
I want to include "windows.h" to use functions such as SetPixel() and some others...

If it's possible, where to I include "windows.h"?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Just add the include statement to the top of the source file, which will use the functions from windows.h :

#include <windows.h>

The problem really isn't how to include windows.h but how to get the HDC parameter that most win32 api graphics functions require. I don't know how to get that either from managed code.

Just add the include statement to the top of the source file, which will use the functions from windows.h :

#include <windows.h>

I tried but it wasn't able to build it and it gave me errors.

costume crosshair.obj : error LNK2028: unresolved token (0A00000F) "extern "C" unsigned long __stdcall SetPixel(struct HDC__ *,int,int,unsigned long)" (?SetPixel@@$$J216YGKPAUHDC__@@HHK@Z) referenced in function "private: void __clrcall costumercrosshair::Form1::btn_start_Click(class System::Object ^,class System::EventArgs ^)" (?btn_start_Click@Form1@costumercrosshair@@$$FA$AAMXP$AAVObject@System@@P$AAVEventArgs@4@@Z)
costume crosshair.obj : error LNK2028: unresolved token (0A000010) "extern "C" struct HDC__ * __stdcall GetDC(struct HWND__ *)" (?GetDC@@$$J14YGPAUHDC__@@PAUHWND__@@@Z) referenced in function "private: void __clrcall costumercrosshair::Form1::btn_start_Click(class System::Object ^,class System::EventArgs ^)" (?btn_start_Click@Form1@costumercrosshair@@$$FA$AAMXP$AAVObject@System@@P$AAVEventArgs@4@@Z)
costume crosshair.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "extern "C" unsigned long __stdcall SetPixel(struct HDC__ *,int,int,unsigned long)" (?SetPixel@@$$J216YGKPAUHDC__@@HHK@Z) referenced in function "private: void __clrcall costumercrosshair::Form1::btn_start_Click(class System::Object ^,class System::EventArgs ^)" (?btn_start_Click@Form1@costumercrosshair@@$$FA$AAMXP$AAVObject@System@@P$AAVEventArgs@4@@Z)
costume crosshair.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "extern "C" struct HDC__ * __stdcall GetDC(struct HWND__ *)" (?GetDC@@$$J14YGPAUHDC__@@PAUHWND__@@@Z) referenced in function "private: void __clrcall costumercrosshair::Form1::btn_start_Click(class System::Object ^,class System::EventArgs ^)" (?btn_start_Click@Form1@costumercrosshair@@$$FA$AAMXP$AAVObject@System@@P$AAVEventArgs@4@@Z)

Those errors occure when you are not linking to a library that is required.

You will need to link to the win32 libs

Here are a few that I can remember:

ole32.lib
comctl32.lib
advapi32.lib
user32.lib

Hope that helps!

Those errors occure when you are not linking to a library that is required.

You will need to link to the win32 libs

Here are a few that I can remember:

ole32.lib
comctl32.lib
advapi32.lib
user32.lib

Hope that helps!

hmm, I remember I saw at MSDN Library, like here
under "Requirements" there is a table and a name of the name of the .lib i need to include to use that function, right?

and how do I link them? I tried to include them but it says it cant find them.

Under the Project menu: choose <projectname> Properties. Go to Configuration Properties. Under Linker/General: fill in the Additional Library Directories and under Linker/Input: fill in the Additional Dependencies with the .lib names

Under the Project menu: choose <projectname> Properties. Go to Configuration Properties. Under Linker/General: fill in the Additional Library Directories and under Linker/Input: fill in the Additional Dependencies with the .lib names

How do I find the Library Directories path? lets say gdi32.lib?

Hi i have a few VS installs here and some other sdk's so im not sure which is right but i find allot of them at "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Lib" if this is wrong for you change the version number from v7.0, i also have a V5.0, v6.0A and v7.0A. gdi32.lib is in all of my versions (didnt look at 5 or 6).

Hope that helps :)

I'm not sure, but I think that the libs were added to your path when Visual Studio installed. So, just add "gdi32.lib" and any other necessary libs to the linker settings.

Hope that helps :)

First of all, thank you all!

I found the solution, I had to include the window.h header in a file called "stdafx.h".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.