Im having a little bit of trouble with an update statement.
if any one could take a look at it and help me with what im doing wrong that would be great.

private void button6_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
       // Button6 is OK
        {

///////If Null/////
            if ((textBox1.Text.Length == 0) || (textBox2.Text.Length == 0))
            {
                MessageBox.Show("Fields cannot be empty");
                return;
            }
            //
            // Make sure there are no duplicates
            DataSet ds = new DataSet();
            DBconnect db = new DBconnect();
            string Emp = new Department('K', textBox2.Text).SetSql();
            ds = db.GetDataSet(Emp);
            DataTable dt = ds.Tables[0];
            //
           if (dt.Rows.Count > 0)
           {
                MessageBox.Show("Duplicate Record");
           }
            else
            {
                // Connect to Database 
                OleDbConnection connect = new OleDbConnection();    
                connect = new DBconnect().DbConn("");

string UpdateStatement = "UPDATE Department "
                    + "SET [Department] = ?, [Description] = ? "
                    + "WHERE Department = '" + textBox2.Text + "'";

OleDbCommand UpdateCommand = new OleDbCommand(UpdateStatement, connect);

UpdateCommand.Parameters.Add("[Department]", OleDbType.Char).Value = textBox2.Text;
                UpdateCommand.Parameters.Add("[Description]", OleDbType.Char).Value = textBox1.Text;

connect.Open();

int count = UpdateCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();
                connect.Close();

this.Close();
            }
        }

it has no errors it just doesnt update the database or the datagrid.

When you execute this Update, in order to see the updated data, you have to re-run the SELECT statement that you use for your GridView.

Btw, if you're not 100% sure that the query that is being created is correct, try and debug the application and then take the value of your UpdateStatement and execute it on access.

Hope i helped. :)

When you execute this Update, in order to see the updated data, you have to re-run the SELECT statement that you use for your GridView.

Btw, if you're not 100% sure that the query that is being created is correct, try and debug the application and then take the value of your UpdateStatement and execute it on access.

Hope i helped. :)

i do that when the form closes and i have access to the grid view again.
but the problem is that the data change isnt showing in access either. so even if i did put the select statemtent after, it wouldnt show anything because, by not showing the changes in either the data grid or access, its saying im not making changes.

i just need to know what i need to change or add to make the changes at least show up in access. cause after that i can figure out the rest.

Check this article (<<snip>>) for details on how to connect to SQL Server database from C#.NET database applications as well as Java database applications. It also describes how to pass embedded SQL queries (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE), calling stored procedures, pass parameters etc.

Edited 6 Years Ago by Nick Evan: Removed plug

Try changing your parameter names from:

UpdateCommand.Parameters.Add("[Department]", OleDbType.Char).Value = textBox2.Text;                
UpdateCommand.Parameters.Add("[Description]", OleDbType.Char).Value = textBox1.Text;

to

UpdateCommand.Parameters.Add("@Department", OleDbType.Char).Value = textBox2.Text;                
UpdateCommand.Parameters.Add("@Description", OleDbType.Char).Value = textBox1.Text;

I dont think your supposed to use the field name as the parameter name

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.