Hi.

I am trying to create a look up table in C. I have attempted it, but there are compilation errors occurring.
Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong/offer any advice?
I have in my header file the following:

struct 	
{	
    (void)(*function)();	
    const char* functionName;
} 
lookUpTable[] = { {&TSL1_ReadMemory32, "ReadMemory32"}, {NULL, NULL} }; // Two nulls to indicate end of array...

Errors are as follows:
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(288) : error C2062: type 'void' unexpected
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(288) : error C2238: unexpected token(s) preceding ';'
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(290) : error C2059: syntax error : '{'
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(290) : error C2334: unexpected token(s) preceding '{'; skipping apparent function body
TSL1.cpp
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(288) : error C2062: type 'void' unexpected
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(288) : error C2238: unexpected token(s) preceding ';'
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(290) : error C2059: syntax error : '{'
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(290) : error C2334: unexpected token(s) preceding '{'; skipping apparent function body
Error executing cl.exe.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

The parentheses around void seem to be the problem. Does this produce the same error?

struct 	
{	
    void (*function)();	
} 
lookUpTable[] = { {&TSL1_ReadMemory32, "ReadMemory32"}, {NULL, NULL} };

Try something like

#include <stdio.h>

typedef void (*myfunction)(void);

void TSL1_ReadMemory32()
{
	fputs("called!\n", stdout);
}

struct 
{
	myfunction thefunct;
}lookUpTable[] = { {TSL1_ReadMemory32, "ReadMemory32"}, {NULL, NULL} };

int main() 
{
	lookUpTable[0].thefunct();

return 0;
}

Try something like

#include <stdio.h>

void TSL1_ReadMemory32()
{
}

struct 
{
	myfunction thefunct;

int main() 
{

return 0;
}

gerard4143:

Why are you suggesting a typedef for the function? I am not suggesting that that you are wrong; I am just interested in what you see as the advantages and disadvantages are of the typedef over direct declaration:

#include <stdio.h>

void TSL1_ReadMemory32(void)
{
}

struct 
{
	void (*function)(void);

int main() 
{

return 0;
}

Do you generally define a typedef for all your types? (If so, that answers the question.)

gerard4143:

Why are you suggesting a typedef for the function? I am not suggesting that that you are wrong; I am just interested in what you see as the advantages and disadvantages are of the typedef over direct declaration:

#include <stdio.h>

void TSL1_ReadMemory32(void)
{
}

struct 
{
	void (*function)(void);

int main() 
{

return 0;
}

Do you generally define a typedef for all your types? (If so, that answers the question.)

I find the code cleaner and easier to read with a typedef...Personal preference.

Guys,
I am still having the syntax errors when building:

struct
{
    myfunction thefunct;

Errors are as follows:
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(300) : error C2059: syntax error : '{'
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(300) : error C2334: unexpected token(s) preceding '{'; skipping apparent function body
TSL1_Commands.cpp
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(300) : error C2059: syntax error : '{'
c:\projects\umaster3xxxc++\inteldriver\tsl1\tsl1_commands.h(300) : error C2334: unexpected token(s) preceding '{'; skipping apparent function body

@Luther von Wulf,

struct
      {
      void (*function)();
      }

Produces the following errors:
TSL1.cpp
TSL1_Commands.cpp
Error executing cl.exe.

Does it matter if this struct is defined in the header file or the source file? I'd like to keep it in the header file, as I have ~200 entries to fill.

Try compiling the small program I posted. Did it compile and execute correctly?

@gerard4143,
Yes, yours compiles fine. What am I doing wrong?
I have a header file and class. In the header file, TSL1_Common.h I have:

int TSL1_ReadMemory32 (char *sCmdInt[], char returnData[256]);

In my source file, TSL1_Common.cpp I have:

int CTSL1_Commands::TSL1_ReadMemory32 (char *sCmdInt[], char returnData[256])
/*******************************************************************************

Name:			TSL1_ReadMemory32

Description:	This function handles the call to read memory 32

Inputs:			sCmdInt - A pointer to the command array 

Outputs:		returnData - The result of the operation
*******************************************************************************/
{
    int iError = DIAG_ReadMem32(sCmdInt[1], returnData);
    return iError;
}

I have tried filling in the typedef/struct at this point in the source file, but i'm still getting the following errors:
C:\Projects\uMaster3xxxC++\IntelDriver\TSL1\TSL1_Commands.cpp(223) : error C2065: 'TSL1_ReadMemory32' : undeclared identifier
C:\Projects\uMaster3xxxC++\IntelDriver\TSL1\TSL1_Commands.cpp(223) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'void (__cdecl *)(void)'
Conversion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
C:\Projects\uMaster3xxxC++\IntelDriver\TSL1\TSL1_Commands.cpp(223) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'char [13]' to 'void (__cdecl *)(void)'
There is no context in which this conversion is possible
Error executing cl.exe.

Well right away your function definition is different than your structure function definition...

compared to

void (*function)(void);

Well right away your function definition is different than your structure function definition...

compared to

void (*function)(void);

Yes, I have tried to amend that as follows:

typedef int (*myfunction)(char *[], char[]);

But still compilation errors:

C:\Projects\uMaster3xxxC++\IntelDriver\TSL1\TSL1_Commands.cpp(223) : error C2065: 'TSL1_ReadMemory32' : undeclared identifier
C:\Projects\uMaster3xxxC++\IntelDriver\TSL1\TSL1_Commands.cpp(223) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'int (__cdecl *)(char *[],char [])'
Conversion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
C:\Projects\uMaster3xxxC++\IntelDriver\TSL1\TSL1_Commands.cpp(223) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'char [13]' to 'int (__cdecl *)(char *[],char [])'

You mention that you have a class in your code. Does this code have a mixture of C and C++?

It is actually C++ code, but we are restricted to using C library functions. The only real C++ element is the OOP. For this reason, I have posted in the C forum. Also, as I have the OOP functionality, this was why I was trying to keep the struct (if possible) in a header file

Well I tried this and it works.

#include <stdio.h>

typedef int (*myfunction)(char *[], char[]);

int TSL1_ReadMemory32 (char *sCmdInt[], char returnData[256])
{
	fputs(sCmdInt[0], stdout);
	fputs(returnData, stdout);
	return 12;
}

struct 	
{	
    myfunction thefunc;	
} 

int main(int argc, char**argv)
{
	return lookUpTable[0].thefunc(argv, "test data\n");
}

Maybe if you should include this functionality in a separate C source file and then compile as C code. Once compiled try linking it into the main C++ program....Note I never tried mixed C/C++ programming on a Windows environment.

Yes, that works fine if I create my function without the class specifier. However, using

I'm still getting the same errors. Any ideas?
I need the class specifier as i'm calling this function from another class

pTSL1_Common->TSL1_ReadMemory32(...)

Yes, that works fine if I create my function without the class specifier. However, using

I'm still getting the same errors. Any ideas?
I need the class specifier as i'm calling this function from another class

pTSL1_Common->TSL1_ReadMemory32(...)

Where did the class specifier come from? This is the first time you mentioned it! If your trying to implement a class function, then this should be posted in the C++ section.

@gerard4143,
Yes, yours compiles fine. What am I doing wrong?
I have a header file and class. In the header file, TSL1_Common.h I have:

In my source file, TSL1_Common.cpp I have:

/*******************************************************************************

Name:			TSL1_ReadMemory32

Description:	This function handles the call to read memory 32

Inputs:			sCmdInt - A pointer to the command array 

Outputs:		returnData - The result of the operation
*******************************************************************************/
{
    int iError = DIAG_ReadMem32(sCmdInt[1], returnData);
    return iError;
}

I have tried filling in the typedef/struct at this point in the source file, but i'm still getting the following errors:
C:\Projects\uMaster3xxxC++\IntelDriver\TSL1\TSL1_Commands.cpp(223) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'void (__cdecl *)(void)'
C:\Projects\uMaster3xxxC++\IntelDriver\TSL1\TSL1_Commands.cpp(223) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'char [13]' to 'void (__cdecl *)(void)'
There is no context in which this conversion is possible
Error executing cl.exe.

I did mention that classes were involved. Apologies, the only reason I posted in the C forum is that I have posted in C++ forums before and have been that I should post in the C forums (plus, even though I mention that I can only use C library functions, people still tend to post their C++ solutions).

I did mention that classes were involved. Apologies, the only reason I posted in the C forum is that I have posted in C++ forums before and have been that I should post in the C forums (plus, even though I mention that I can only use C library functions, people still tend to post their C++ solutions).

If your talking about member functions then its a C++ solution.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.