hi

im using MS access database to keep my data and using visual studio .net 2003 to design forms...

i want to know how to retrieve data from access to my forms in visual studio .net.. what codes must i write in visual studio .net or must i use some access wizard to do what i want?

thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

No need to use an Access wizard; you can do this (with very little code, actually) from within the VS IDE.
Basically, you establish a connection to your database (if you use the wizard, it will create a dataset as well), and then from the Data Sources panel it is possible to just drag a table to a form and have a DataGridView or discreet controls created and bound automatically. Manipulating the data will probably take a fair amount of coding, but to display your data from an already populated Access Database takes very little. The process:

Create database connection. Create Dataset. Create TableAdapter to fill Dataset. Bind form controls or datagrid to dataset tables(s)/field(s).

Now I must apologize; before I posted this response I read your post again and realized you are using VS.NET 2003. The information I'm giving (I'm a novice at all this myself) is based on my experience with and study of VS.NET 2005 (Express Edition at that), so I don't know if the process details are different, but the general concept might be similar enough for you to get done what you need done.

Hope this helps.

Look into the tutorials here at Daniweb. What you are trying to do I have shown in many tutorials.

hi

im using MS access database to keep my data and using visual studio .net 2003 to design forms...

i want to know how to retrieve data from access to my forms in visual studio .net.. what codes must i write in visual studio .net or must i use some access wizard to do what i want?

thanks!

hi

im using MS access as my database... i've to receive data from another computer and store the data in my database... initially, both computers were using string for read and write... my computer would get the data and store them in a text file... but as the data will keep on increasing and it is a huge amount, as well as for better layout, my computer will now use database to store data instead of in a text file>notepad...

the codes used in the other computer is in string and i will NOT be changing the codes in that computer..

im not sure how a computer using string to read and write data will be able to pass data successfully to a computer using varchar for database.. i know i can use a wizard to convert data in text file to table form in database..
but what i want to do is to pass the data directly into a database from the other computer without having the user to need to use a wizard..
the user is supposed to click on a button in a form in my computer and the data will be retrieved from database for user to view/update...

my question is: how do i write/change my codes in MY computer in order for the data passed over to directly be stored in a database? (the data will not be kept in text file any more..)

thanks a lot!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.