Hi hope i am writing in right section of the forum trying to create a registry for my C program which has an .exe . want to work on windows start. The program is a kind of firewall program closes ports and opens them only if they are opened from inside. And I want this to work for windows xp so thats why i am writing here any help would be welcomed.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

you will probably get better response on the C/C++ board.

Hi hope i am writing in right section of the forum trying to create a registry (key?) for my C program which has an .exe . want to work (launch?) on windows start. The program is a kind of firewall program closes ports and opens them only if they are opened from inside. And I want this to work for windows xp so thats why i am writing here any help would be welcomed.

If my assumptions are true, you will need to place your entry in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If you want it work only for you,

Or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If you want it works for everyone.

The Registry reference is here .

If the amount of info overwhelms you, please take into account you will only need three functions for your required task:

RegCreateKeyEx()
RegSetValueEx()
RegCloseKey()

Hope this helps.

Moved to C++

First of all I am sorry for posting at wrong place taught it was mostly about windows.And thanks to all i think i got it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.