I need to take a class on using C++ Libraries.
Something that's about 3 months in duration, with some sort of a test at the end.
I could easily just go to google and start there, but I was afraid that I would just get a zillion classes, without any way of knowing what is "shinola" and what is s***thing else.
Any suggestions for high quality, online learning that fills this bill would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

OMG You can learn to create a c++ library in about an hour (or less). With VC++ 2010 Express (and older versions) I can create one in less than one minute. If you have to take 3 months to do that then you are wasting everyone's time.

I have to take a course as a requirement for a new job.
I know that creating libraries doesn't take this long to learn.

I really appreciate the reply, but don't you think you're being a bit harsh?

>I have to take a course as a requirement for a new job.
They don't offer suggestions? Or are you trying to meet certification requirements for the job? Sorry, but this all sounds very strange to me.

>I know that creating libraries doesn't take this long to learn.
Creating good libraries takes longer. ;)

>I have to take a course as a requirement for a new job.
They don't offer suggestions? Or are you trying to meet certification requirements for the job? Sorry, but this all sounds very strange to me.

>I know that creating libraries doesn't take this long to learn.
Creating good libraries takes longer. ;)

We just had a brief discussion about this training, but I plan on asking for suggestions.

I was hired as a Field Applications Engineer.
Part of their interview/screening process was for me to complete a "BrainBench" on line skills assessment test for C++.
I scored in the "Proficient" range, but was weak on C++ Libraries.

I did really well with the rest of the interview, but they requested that I sharpen my skills in this area by taking a class of some kind.
Something more than a 30 minute tutorial.
My employer said "a three month course", or something reputable, which will meet thier expectations.

I'm looking at Pheonix and possibly a few other online learning institutions.
But they don't just focus on C++ Libraries.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer not to have to sit through a nice refresher of stuff I'm good on, to get to the stuff I really need.
I might not have a choice, unless someone has any other suggestions? :)

>Part of their interview/screening process was for me to
>complete a "BrainBench" on line skills assessment test for C++.

Last I checked, BrainBench assessments were utter crap. You have my sympathy, and my recommendation that if the employer relies on such assessments to determine programming ability you're probably better off not working for them. I've heard so many horror stories about BrainBench employers from interviewees.

>But they don't just focus on C++ Libraries.
Nobody does, to the best of my knowledge.

>Part of their interview/screening process was for me to
>complete a "BrainBench" on line skills assessment test for C++.

Last I checked, BrainBench assessments were utter crap. You have my sympathy, and my recommendation that if the employer relies on such assessments to determine programming ability you're probably better off not working for them. I've heard so many horror stories about BrainBench employers from interviewees.

>But they don't just focus on C++ Libraries.
Nobody does, to the best of my knowledge.

I've heard a few groans about brain bench, as well.
But, I did well, and got the job, so no sweat.

If they want me to take a course, which will cover a bunch of stuff I already know, then that's what I'll do.
Jobs are scarce, and this happens to be a really good one.
So I'm drinkin' the "cool-aid" and doin' whatever they want.

Thank you very much for your input.
I really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Mike

>If they want me to take a course, which will cover a bunch of stuff I already know, then that's what I'll do.
Just don't let them make you pay for it. They're the ones who want you to take a course, despite hiring you for your programming prowess. If it's important enough to stuff you in a class now rather than learn on the job or on your own, they can foot the bill.

>If they want me to take a course, which will cover a bunch of stuff I already know, then that's what I'll do.
Just don't let them make you pay for it. They're the ones who want you to take a course, despite hiring you for your programming prowess. If it's important enough to stuff you in a class now rather than learn on the job or on your own, they can foot the bill.

Agreed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.