How do I create an Instant Messenger Program using Java?

I want to create an Instant Messenger Program using Java, and I dont have a clue where to start, so if someone can please help me, that would be great.

Thank You,
Andrew Davis

You realize your first 3 sentences are redundant right?
In your topic post saying you want to create an instant messenger program in java would have been enough.

Now with out the nit picking...
That would be the same as creating a chat program. Check out this tutorial and the book How to program by Dietel and Dietel has a a very good case study on this in chapter 24 ( networking ).

The link from 'this tutorial' says that malware has been detected and I shouldn't proceed to the site.

everything is fine when i click it so it should be fine

The site is Javaworld and I highly doubt there is malware coming from there.

Another book to check out is Head First Java by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates. There's a great section in there about networking and creating client-server chatters.

Yep that one is good also.Although, It doesn't mention Synchronization I don't think.

It does touch on it a bit, but doesn't really go into too much detail about it, which is very annoying - although it does go into the problem with it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.