Regards,
Simran Kaur

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

menu

Tools > option >

select Text editor, line checkbox true

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. The 'Line Number' checkbox only shows the line number for each line which starts from one in each form which I am already using. I want to find out how many lines are there in the total project (with many forms) at one go without adding bookmarks.
Regards,
Simran.

See if this helps.

Public Class Form1

'// your application's folder that contains all Forms.
    Private myAppFolder As String = "C:\Users\codeorder\Desktop\vb.net\WindowsApplication1\WindowsApplication1"

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Dim myCoolFileLineCount As Integer = 0
        For Each myCoolFile As String In My.Computer.FileSystem.GetFiles _
                                      (myAppFolder, FileIO.SearchOption.SearchTopLevelOnly, "*.*") '// scan folder.
            If IO.Path.GetExtension(myCoolFile) = ".vb" Then '// get all files with the .vb file extension.
                If Not IO.Path.GetFileName(myCoolFile).Contains(".Designer.vb") Then '// remove files that are Designer files.
                    Dim myCoolForm As String = IO.Path.GetFullPath(myCoolFile) '// get full path of file.
                    Dim myCoolFileLines() As String = IO.File.ReadAllLines(myCoolForm) '// load your file as a string array.
                    myCoolFileLineCount += myCoolFileLines.Length '// count lines and add to the sum total.
                End If
            End If
        Next
        '// display your application's total code line count.
        MsgBox(Application.ProductName & vbNewLine & "Total Code Lines Count: " & myCoolFileLineCount, MsgBoxStyle.Information)
    End Sub

End Class

Please supply the proper information when FIRST asking a question.
Thank you.

commented: was helpful +1

Hello,
Thanks for this code. It worked perfectly.
Simran Kaur.

Hi, I was searching for an example about how to count lines, this was great but it's not completely useful when your application has nested folders with projects inside.

I had to rewrite the code to be recursive and count all lines of code of my solution, the final solution is the next:

Public Class frmCheckLineCount

Private Function LinesInFile(ByVal myCoolFile As String) As Double
        Dim ret As Double = 0
        lblFile.Text = IO.Path.GetFileName(myCoolFile)
        System.Windows.Forms.Application.DoEvents()
        If IO.Path.GetExtension(myCoolFile) = ".vb" Then '// get all files with the .vb file extension.
            If Not IO.Path.GetFileName(myCoolFile).Contains(".Designer.vb") Then '// remove files that are Designer files.
                Dim myCoolForm As String = IO.Path.GetFullPath(myCoolFile) '// get full path of file.
                ret += IO.File.ReadAllLines(myCoolForm).Length  '// load your file as a string array.
            End If
        End If
        Return ret
    End Function

Private Function LinesInFolder(ByVal folder As String) As Double
        Dim ret As Double = 0
        For Each fileI As String In IO.Directory.GetFiles(folder)
            lblFolder.Text = folder
            ret += LinesInFile(fileI)
            System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(20)
        Next
        For Each folderF As String In IO.Directory.GetDirectories(folder)
            lblFolder.Text = folderF
            ret += LinesInFolder(folderF)
        Next
        Return ret
    End Function

Private Sub btnCheckLineCount_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnCheckLineCount.Click
        txtLineCount.Text = "LineCount: " & LinesInFolder(txtSolutionPath.Text)
    End Sub
End Class

There are several calls to make pauses and make it more visually interesting and to show the directory/file being checked.

This implementation needs several controls to work correctly, the code explains itself how to work, but I've uploaded a screenshoot:

http://tinypic.com/r/25zk0ux/7

Member Avatar for Unhnd_Exception

I ended up making this with codeorder's code and my code.

And ended up making a Visual Studio Add In with the same code.

It will count all lines of code in a folder.

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnCount.Click
        Dim FD As New FolderBrowserDialog

If FD.ShowDialog = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
            Dim WrittenCode, DesignerCode As Integer

CountLinesofCodeInDirectory(FD.SelectedPath, WrittenCode, DesignerCode)

End If

End Sub

Private Sub CountLinesofCodeInDirectory(ByVal DirectoryPath As String, ByRef TotalWritten As Integer, ByRef TotalDesigner As Integer)

Try

For Each File As String In System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(DirectoryPath)
                If File.EndsWith(".Designer.vb") Then
                    TotalDesigner += System.IO.File.ReadAllLines(File).Count
                ElseIf File.EndsWith(".vb") Then
                    TotalWritten += System.IO.File.ReadAllLines(File).Count
                End If
            Next

For Each Directory As String In System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories(DirectoryPath)
                CountLinesofCodeInDirectory(Directory, TotalWritten, TotalDesigner)
            Next

Catch ex As Exception

End Try
    End Sub

So sad the thread is marked as solved, I made a new solution to include another project paths for multiple solution check, capabilities to choose another file extensions and a list with all files that matched the conditions with line count of each.
For the solution mail me at dxider at gmail.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.