Hi guys,

Im working on a small console app to seek out all those pesky and disk consuming .ncb files and debug folders left from VS and destroy them so the space i need to backup the files is considerably reduced.

I have got my recusrion algorithm to scan as deep as it needs to (seems to be working fine) But the issue is when i want to delete the files. I have a function that worked fine when i passed a path refrence to it, but to get recusrion i changed over to directory iterators. Using these i now get the final else case of my check function when deleting which now insists the files are neither directories or regulor files.

I cant seem to figure out after many hours toiling to find what is causing this. So if anyone could give this code a review and maybe help me out id really appreciate it. Code follows.

void scanDir(const path& dir, int numLevels)
{
	try //might get exceptions so catch them
	{

if(!exists(dir) || !is_directory(dir)) //check path is valid and is a directory
		{
			std::cout<<"Invalid input.\n";
			exit(-1);
		}

for(directory_iterator dir_iter(dir), dir_end;dir_iter != dir_end; ++dir_iter)
		{

if(is_directory(dir_iter->path().leaf()))//if this is another directory dig down and look
			{

cout<<padd(numLevels)<<"<DIR>"<<dir_iter->path().leaf()<<endl;
				if(checkAndRemove(dir_iter->path().leaf(),BAD_TYPES))
					continue; //if i deleted the folder i dont want to try look into it 

scanDir(dir_iter->path().leaf(), numLevels+1);
			}
			else //this is just a file so print it
			{
				cout<<padd(numLevels)<<dir_iter->path().leaf()<<endl;
				checkAndRemove(dir_iter->path().leaf(),BAD_TYPES);

}
		}

std::cout<<padd(numLevels)<<"End of Folder"<<endl;

}

catch (const filesystem_error& ex)
	{
		cout << ex.what() << '\n';
	}

}

bool checkAndRemove(path& file, const vector<string> &unwantedTypes)
{
	vector<string>::const_iterator result;

result = find(unwantedTypes.begin(),unwantedTypes.end(),file.extension());
	if(result!=unwantedTypes.end())
	{
		//check if its a file or directory
		if(is_directory(file))
		{
			cout<<"removing directory:"<<file.filename()<<endl;
			remove_all(file);
			folderCount++;
		}
		else if(is_regular_file(file))
		{
			cout<<"Removing file: "<<file.filename()<<endl;
			remove(file.c_str());
			fileCount++;
		}
		else
		{
			cout<<"Object is not a file or directory"<<endl;
		}
		return true;
	}
	return false;

}

Again many thanks in advance, if anything is unclear ill try to explian but as im new to boost im still quite shaky on my understanding of it.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Don't boost::filesystem::remove_all and boost::filesystem::remove require a full path as the argument?

AFAIK, lines 20 and 28 should have checkAndRemove( dir_iter->path(), BAD_TYPES ) instead of checkAndRemove( dir_iter->path().leaf(), BAD_TYPES )

Thanks for the answer Vijayan however.

Upon making these changes I got a compile error Saying about Unable to convert from const path, to path&.

Thankfully i realised this only required a change of my function prototype to operate on a path instead of a path& and the function now works correctly.

I appreciate your help very much :) thank you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.