I've been trying to get it to work but it just won't. For some reason everytime I run a program it freezes up my command prompt and I have to close it forcefully. Does anyone know a fix to this?

One reason why I absolutely have to use this compiler is because my school uses it(don't ask me why) and if my programs don't work there, I'm in trouble. But if someone can suggest an alternative compiler that I can use who's code will definitely work in TurboC, i'll be happy to switch.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

>I've been trying to get it to work but it just won't.
That's because you're trying to get a dinosaur to drive a ferarri. Turbo C 2.0 is a DOS compiler, and I don't mean the Windows command prompt, I mean real DOS. It's ancient, and nobody is surprised that it has massive issues when some bobo tries to run it on the latest OS.

>Does anyone know a fix to this?
Downgrade to Windows 98.

>But if someone can suggest an alternative compiler
IIRC, Turbo C made an attempt to conform to the draft C89 standard, so if you limit yourself to C89 features you should be okay with any modern compiler. Of course, I make no guarantees when you move so closely to the old K&R implementations.

schools should get their accrediations yanked and teachers fired for teaching such ancient compilers. There are much better free compilers such as Dev-C++. I'll bet MIT doesn't teach astrologers how to compute the distance of a star with a slide ruler and I know for a fact that NASA doesn't use them :)

>I know for a fact that NASA doesn't use them
Though it wouldn't be surprising to find a couple in the lockers labeled "Emergency". ;)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I'll bet MIT doesn't teach astrologers how to compute the distance of a star with a slide ruler and I know for a fact that NASA doesn't use them

Tis reminds me of the time when my teacher told me a story...

When the Russians and Americans were fighting to become the firstnation to put a man on the moon, both countries were tryingdesperately to overcome the apparent stumbing block of takingnotes in space. Due to zero gravity the humble biro was rendereduseless in outer space. If you have ever tried writing with a penupside-down you will know what I mean.
The USA apparently spent millions of dollars pioneering a new kind ofpen and ink which could be utilised in an anti-gravitationalenvironment.

What did the Russians do? They just sent their astronauts up with apencil.

:o

Nah. They probably have Curta hand calculators, like I do...

I can just imagine the back rooms at NASA... people with Curtas, sliderules, and abaci on bandoliers...

A lot of schools have no money for their hand-me-down computers. Turbo2.0 is given away free. Still better than teaching Mbasic.

Tis reminds me of the time when my teacher toldme a story...

When the Russians and Americans were fighting to become the firstnation to put a man on the moon, both countries were tryingdesperately to overcome the apparent stumbing block of takingnotes in space. Due to zero gravity the humble biro was rendereduseless in outer space. If you have ever tried writing with a penupside-down you will know what I mean.
The USA apparently spent millions of dollars pioneering a new kind ofpen and ink which could be utilised in an anti-gravitationalenvironment.

What did the Russians do? They just sent their astronauts up with apencil.

:o

Wow iamthwee, that must have taken some time to type in all those colors. I like colors! Are you a genius or something?

thanx for your support

commented: You bumped the thread for that? -1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.