Hi

I have made a program on Visual Basic 2008. I have put textbox1 and button1 ONLY.
I have disabled button1. I want button1 only to be enabled when we type some numbers in textbox1. I also want that we can ONLY type numbers in textbox1, not letters or other symbols.

Any help will be highly appreciated
Thanks,
Hassan

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Rather than a textbox, use a masked textbox. Set the mask to a number of the appropriate length. For the event, use mtxtTextbox_TextChanged and enable the button with

Me.btnButton.Enabled = True

Will this do what you need?
(I'm sorry if the code isn't displayed properly. This is my first post.)

================================================================

Hi

I have made a program on Visual Basic 2008. I have put textbox1 and button1 ONLY.
I have disabled button1. I want button1 only to be enabled when we type some numbers in textbox1. I also want that we can ONLY type numbers in textbox1, not letters or other symbols.

Any help will be highly appreciated
Thanks,
Hassan

Hi GomerTee,

I can do the step that you told me. This is not the thing i want.

I have disabled button1. I want when the user types some NUMBERS in textbox1, button1 should then be enabled. I also want that the user can only type numbers in textbox1, not letters, spaces or other symbols.

But even then, thanks for your help!
Regards,
Hassan

Hi GomerTee,

I have disabled button1. I want when the user types some NUMBERS in textbox1, button1 should then be enabled. I also want that the user can only type numbers in textbox1, not letters, spaces or other symbols.

Regards,
Hassan

Are you using a regular TextBox or a MASKED Textbox? They are different controls and the Masked TextBox is the one you need. It can be set (using a "mask") so it accepts only numbers.

Here's what I did: I created a blank form and added a button, changing its enabled property to FALSE and its visible property to FALSE. I added a masked textbox to the form and changed the mask to 00000. (that's five zeroes) I didn't change the names or anything else in properties, though you probably would in a real program. (Obviously, if you only wanted the button grayed out, but still visible, you'd leave the visible property alone.)

With the Masked TextBox selected, I clicked the lightning bolt ("events") at the top of the Properties box to the right of the buttons for setting the properties alphabetically or in categories. I double-clicked on TextChanged and the code editing window popped up a sub, so I could add two lines. Here it is:

Private Sub MaskedTextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MaskedTextBox1.TextChanged
        Me.Button1.Enabled = True
        Me.Button1.Visible = True
    End Sub

If I type a letter or punctuation mark in the Masked TextBox, nothing happens. If I type a number 0-9, the button becomes visible and enabled.

If you're going to need this Masked TextBox to accept text at another point in the program, I guess you could change the mask in code or just set it to nothing; I've never needed that. Or you could add a regular TextBox and put it on top of the other, with only one enabled and visible at a time.

Good luck!

Hi GomerTee,

Regards,
Hassan

See if this helps.

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Button1.Enabled = False
    End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles TextBox1.KeyPress
        '// code from this thread here.
        '//--- http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post1345601.html#post1345601
    End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.TextChanged
        If Not TextBox1.Text = "" Then '// check it TextBox1 has any text.
            Button1.Enabled = True '// if so, Enable Button1.
        Else
            Button1.Enabled = False '// otherwise, Disable Button1.
        End If
    End Sub
End Class

Link to thread for KeyPress event.
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post1345601.html#post1345601

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.